Better Call Saul - Season 5 (AMC)

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
At this point, I’m personally not ruling ANYTHING out. Though Kim certainly seems to not be in Gene’s life. So I think whatever is revealed, there’s going to be more to it than whether she’s “around during Breaking Bad” or not.

Walter Kittel

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Have to admit I felt pretty stupid when the rationale for Kim and Jimmy marrying was revealed. Of course. Duh! :rolleyes:

The show continues to excel and I am enjoying seeing Saul's career progression with his new clientele.

Huell's head shake when the couple announces 'no rings' was the biggest laugh of the night for me.

Don't think I've ever seen a chicken used as a time fuse. One of the traits of this show and by extension Breaking Bad is the presentation of common objects in unlikely situations and usages.

Three episodes to go in this season.

- Walter.

Last edited:
Reactions: TravisR

WillG

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Don't think I've ever seen a chicken used as a time fuse. One of the traits of this show and by extension Breaking Bad is the presentation of common objects in unlikely situations and usages.
how exactly does that work. Chicken slides down into the fryer, causes an oil explosion which sets off the gas?

kind of seems like an elaborate/clever way for a “thug” to commit arson.

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
That final scene with Howard was amazing. It really has been a long and sad journey that has brought Jimmy to this point.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
That final scene with Howard was amazing. It really has been a long and sad journey that has brought Jimmy to this point.
Saul has come through at other times before but that was Jimmy's first big Saul moment.

And that wonderful shot of half his face and the other reflected in the wall could be the poster for the entire series.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Good call.

So why did Nacho trash the restaurant before they blew it up?
I was wondering about that too. My initial thought was that Gus and Nacho planned for Nacho to 'accidentally' fail at burning the place down but he at least would have put them out of business to fix all the stuff he trashed so Lalo wasn't too mad.

I guess when the fire is inspected, they'll see the building is wrecked so it's even more clearly arson. That way, respected local businessman Gus Fring gets even more sympathy from the community.

ScottH

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I guess when the fire is inspected, they'll see the building is wrecked so it's even more clearly arson. That way, respected local businessman Gus Fring gets even more sympathy from the community.
And possibly a smoother insurance claim (since it would appear there is no negligence on the part of Gus or his employees).

That said, with the way that place blew up, would they really be able to tell that some coffee machines were smashed before they would have been smashed in an expolosion?

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
And possibly a smoother insurance claim (since it would appear there is no negligence on the part of Gus or his employees).

That said, with the way that place blew up, would they really be able to tell that some coffee machines were smashed before they would have been smashed in an expolosion?
I'm no arson investigator but I think with what happened, a fireball only went through the front of the place. The kitchen might have been really messed up since that was the location of the explosion but I don't know if THAT much of the area where customers sit would have been wrecked so some of the damage done by Nacho would still be evident.

ScottH

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I'm no arson investigator but I think with what happened, a fireball only went through the front of the place. The kitchen might have been really messed up since that was the location of the explosion but I don't know if THAT much of the area where customers sit would have been wrecked so some of the damage done by Nacho would still be evident.
Could be. One thing about this show is they always do a great job explaining something that initially seems completely implausible.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know what I notice about this show? It's styling. The little things.

Yes, that shot of Jimmy's half-face looking down the hallway being reflected in the wall could be a timeless shot.

Also, the long shot of the windows where we see silhouettes of Kim and Richard Schweikart before they decide to go back into the office of Kevin Wachtell. Really nice shot.

Or, the opening shot where we see Jimmy and Kim negotiating from beneath a steel table.

Of course, the chicken slowly greasing and sliding into the fryer was another nice technique.

This show not only excels in its storytelling but in the techniques it uses to tell that story.

I will continue to say it's the best show on TV right now.

Tommy R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tommy
Have they had more F-bombs this season than normal? I’m not complaining, just something I think I’m noticing.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CalOkie