What's new

Better Call Saul - Season 5 (AMC) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
DUNKED ON.

That's what Kim's wanted to say to Jimmy for years.

Confirmed that we are in 2004 at this moment. The guy took a 100-year lease in 1974, and said he had "70 years left" on it.

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
How has each episode this season OUTDONE itself? I didn't think this episode could be better than "50% Off," but holy shit, it was. Every scene was gold, and we got more Jimmy and Kim this episode, with short-but-sweet scenes for Gus, Mike, and Nacho as well. Just wow.

Everyone this season is owned by something or someone. Gus owns Nacho, Lalo owns Saul, Mesa Verde owns Kim. Mike's guilt owns him. I don't know why I never noticed before, but they really hit you over the head with it in this episode: Kim and Jimmy are polar opposites. Kim is elated to have a full day of pro bono cases, defending regular people who make mistakes and can't afford a good defense. Jimmy's pulling in thousands to cover up the truth and facilitate even more crimes.

They have the same talents. The same needs. Just different moral compasses.

I recently re-watched the Breaking Bad episode where Saul is introduced. One thing that stuck out was he told Walt and Jesse they were represented by Saul Goodman and Associates.

What if...Saul and Kim never break up? They get the office together. You never see her because she's off doing her pro bono cases. They keep drifting apart, and...one day he disappears.

Other thoughts:

- Paca paca paca paca makes its triumphant return!

- Mike got drunk, and was playing GTA irl. Thought he was gonna solo them all.

- When I saw the Rubik's cube, my mind instantly went to, "Mike is gonna do some AMAZING shit and take down a fucking crew with it somehow," or something.

- It’s so strange to hear Hank talking about Marie in Better Call Saul. I miss her weird purple shoplifting ass.

- Kim: "I am the one who knocks."

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
So WTF happened in Australia to trigger Mike at the bar? Maybe we'll find out later this season?

My interpretation of the ice cream cone / ant sequence was that it represented Saul's idea of what his practice would be like, with him in charge and calling the shots. Now that Lalo has him under his thumb he can just kiss all that goodbye. Seeing his reaction when Nacho drops him off after telling him that he is 'in' sort of cements that for me.

Damn, what a great show. Josh is right it just gets better and better. Very intriguing now that we are beginning to butt up against the Breaking Bad timeline. Very surprised to see Hank & Steve; which presages that we will see more individuals from Breaking Bad.

I hadn't thought of Barry Corbin in years. "I'm going to spread my legs out like this and just to finish it off, why don't you give me a swift kick in the balls"

Mr. Acker thought that Kim was playing him with her tale from her childhood, but I believe it was a true story which gives a little bit more understanding of Kim, based on her formative years.

- Walter.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
So WTF happened in Australia to trigger Mike at the bar? Maybe we'll find out later this season?
Last season, before Werner got killed, he was telling Mike about his father, who was one of the main architects of the Sydney Opera House. Mike had a triggered-moment, looks like.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I re-watched season four a couple weeks before the start of this season five. I caught the Opera house reference, but absolutely wouldn’t have had it not been fresh on my mind. A year and a half is a long time!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Thought some more about the ice cream cone. Seems like the placement, in terms of the angle, was probably deliberate. Sort of reminded me of a jester's cap. Saul is the jester/cone, and the ants are all of the bad individuals in his life who eat away at Jimmy to the point that he has to flee for his life. (Josh similarly posted with regards to Jimmy's morals, but I think it may be more literal.)

Completely spaced on the opera house reference.

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I re-watched season four a couple weeks before the start of this season five. I caught the Opera house reference, but absolutely wouldn’t have had it not been fresh on my mind. A year and a half is a long time!
I only remembered it thanks to having recently rewatched the previous season but I give the writers credit for either assuming that their viewers are hardcore enough to remember something like or just not caring. I'll take that over some awkward dialogue to remind people what's pissing Mike off.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The continuity this show preserves for the smallest roles is commendable: the bored prosecutor in the courtroom-scene last appeared in the very first episode of the series, where he wordlessly played for the jury the tape of the teenage defendants skullfucking the corpse at the morgue.

I guess they couldn't convince Steven Michael Quezada to go clean shaven to truly reprise vintage-Gomie. Still an absolute blast to see those two together again in their pre-Heisenberg salad-days.

I only remembered it thanks to having recently rewatched the previous season but I give the writers credit for either assuming that their viewers are hardcore enough to remember something like or just not caring. I'll take that over some awkward dialogue to remind people what's pissing Mike off.
When the episode was airing on Monday night, I actually had to refresh my memory to figure out why that specific picture elicited Mike's ire at the bar. This sort of recall is a casualty of a hyper-serialized show with an eighteen-month hiatus. Though I guess it's a moot point for the retrospective binge-watchers who will end up being the majority of the viewership.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This episode was one of the best of the entire series...

...and it's not because of Hank and Gomey.

It just feels so personal in so many ways --- particularly the lengths Kim goes to connect with the homeowner who won't leave.

Did you notice the bar that Mike is drinking in (and asks the photo to be removed) is the same bar where Walt gets his ass kicked for asking Mike to help him take down Gus.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
This episode was one of the best of the entire series...

...and it's not because of Hank and Gomey.

It just feels so personal in so many ways --- particularly the lengths Kim goes to connect with the homeowner who won't leave.
With Barry Corbin's Acker-character, the idea that anyone working for a bank is so inherently reprehensible that no amount of good works can unstain their hideous soul is definitely facile claptrap (which this show points out).

And the idea that Acker or whoever has the moral high-ground to spit on them for taking such a job seems to rest on a farcical, sanctimonious supposition that most people who work "honest" blue-collar jobs at a grocery store or garage or farm or laundromat or factory or diner or what-have-you chose those jobs primarily on the basis of some deep moral inventory that determined it to be some piously-righteous “real work” calling, and not just falling into making the best living that circumstances allowed them.

The old man lost. The situation with his house is cut-and-dry, he has no recourse, and Kim made it very clear how impotent he would be in fighting the inevitable. She leaves him upset and defeated. Those feelings are obviously still raw when she comes back later that very same evening to say let's be friends now, and offer a helping hand. I don't think there's any conflict whatsoever in the notion that Kim both genuinely wants to do right by him and assuage her guilt, but obviously Acker has a perspective on this that makes the latter motive way easier to see. So he denies her that, because a petty victory is the only one available to him.

I think the takeaway of the scene is that Kim's character is such that these situations will weigh on her conscience whether they ought to or not, and that there are bound to be more of these situations by the nature of having a client like Mesa Verde.

Last edited:

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Poor Howard! :lol: I’d like it if they just occasionally show more times Jimmy anonymously trolls Howard, and reveal that he is even trolling him during the Breaking Bad time frame!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Poor Howard! :lol: I’d like it if they just occasionally show more times Jimmy anonymously trolls Howard, and reveal that he is even trolling him during the Breaking Bad time frame!

Poor Howard?! Mike really got the shit beaten out of him.

BTW, this show still continues to be the best television has to offer.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"A man...fuckin' a horse??"

I feel like what Saul pulled with the defendant-switcheroo would have resulted in some pretty severe consequences to him in addition to the mistrial, had it happened in reality, but I'll suspend disbelief for some legit Goodman courtroom-shenanigans. It's funny to think back on a time when the show was still in development, and we imagined it being pretty much wall-to-wall stuff like that.

What Saul did to Howard is top-tier douchebaggery; on the other hand, anyone with a "Namast3" license plate is more or less begging the universe to inflict harm upon their property. My read on Saul's behavior here is that he resents Howard for being able to confront his demons and work through them to productive ends. Jimmy/Saul's response to Chuck's death is total compartmentalization, and somewhere deep down, he simply knows it.

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
When the show opened, I thought that Saul was looking for something for his office that could double as a defensive weapon. The show of course had something else in mind. :)

The scene with Hank and Gomey on stakeout at the culverts really, really scratches my Breaking Bad memories. I can't recall the scene but there is a glimmer (in my memory) of a scene at night involving culverts from the original series.

I have to admit the scene with Mike (after he awakens) has me completely baffled. It has been a long, long time since I watched Breaking Bad so a lot of details are fogged out in my mind, assuming there is a clue to Mike's location / status from BB.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks