What's new

Better Call Saul - Season 3 (AMC) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
They even had the detail of Krazy-8 wearing a Tampico Furniture shirt (a job he talked about with Walt in Breaking Bad) in one of the earlier Better Call Saul episodes.

Travis,

In this episode, he wore that shirt?

And now that I think about it -- to Walter Kittle's point -- he told Walter White his name was Domingo.

So, it all comes together perfectly.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Travis,

In this episode, he wore that shirt?
Krazy-8 was wearing the Tampico shirt (and also driving a Tampico Furniture van) in his first BCS episode so it was from last season. I think it was an episode called 'Gloves Off' where Mike set Tuco up to get busted by the police for beating the crap out of him.

I think the idea is that in his first BCS appearance, he was basically a kid still working for his dad's furniture store & dealing on the side but by this point in BCS, Domingo has probably quit that job and is selling drugs full time for Nacho and is on his way to becoming Krazy-8.

It's also worth noting that Krazy-8 is a snitch for Hank Schrader by the time of Breaking Bad but who knows if they plan to do anything with that in Better Call Saul.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So, it all comes together perfectly.
I talked about it earlier in the thread but I've been rewatching Breaking Bad recently and having seen Better Call Saul, both shows are better because of each other. BCS gives you more backstory for great characters like Saul, Mike and Gus and you even get history for supporting and minor characters like Hector, Tuco, Krazy-8, etc. One thing that I found cool is that as Breaking Bad went on, they would show quiet moments where Saul dropped his schtick when he was alone or when he was trying to talk sense into people and now having seen BCS, you can see Jimmy bleeding through a little.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Jimmy's biggest dick move yet. What an asshole. It is true, however, that those ladies might not have the luxury of waiting years for their payout. But, between this and manipulating the insurance company, he's going to single-handedly bring down HHM. Also, he distracted Kim from her last cup of coffee, so that's on him, too. I'm pinning the blame, even if it's a stretch.

I wonder if next week

Chuck will be dead. It's called "Lantern," so we all know what to expect. But, there's a big gulf between his house burning down and whether he survives or not. While Howard doesn't wish Chuck to die, it would sure solve his Chuck problem.

I buy all my (whatever they sell) at the ABQ Crazy 8!

Walk me through why Don Hector was so angry at the phone call. Wasn't he the one who set up moving his product on Fring's trucks? I guess the fact that Don Eladio wants it to be a permanent arrangement puts a crimp in his plan to switch to Nacho's dad's vehicles, though Nacho doesn't seem to think that has been taken off the table. Nacho's dad is too honest to put up with Hector for even a short time, so he might not survive next week.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jimmy's biggest dick move yet. What an asshole. It is true, however, that those ladies might not have the luxury of waiting years for their payout.
That was a situation where I felt bad for laughing at something so horrible. I like to imagine that everything will immediately go back to normal for poor Irene once she settles and everyone gets paid.

Walk me through why Don Hector was so angry at the phone call. Wasn't he the one who set up moving his product on Fring's trucks?
I believe that Hector wants to take control of the distribution or take a chunk of that money from Gus and Eladio is letting Gus keep it exclusively. That's a decision with big implications for Eladio in Breaking Bad because Gus having control of southwest U.S. distribution is why the cartel isn't able to just murder him during his 'war' with the cartel and that ultimately lets Gus get into position to kill Eladio.

Last edited:

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Uhh... is Josh dead? It's been over 12 hours since it aired.

The Zafiro tequila is a call back to BB.

As sleazy as Jimmy can be, Chuck is ruthless as fuck*. We knew that, but that was only in context to Jimmy. Now Howard knows how he feels.

* copyright joshEH

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I loved seeing a little more of Lydia and the workings of Madrigal. The level of detail between the two series shows that the guys who write it are as big of obsessive compulsive nerds as me.

The Zafiro tequila is a call back to BB.
Jimmy and Kim scammed Ken Wins into paying for a bottle of it in the second season opener of BCS too.

Last edited:

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I kept having to justify my laughter with the whole Irene thing by telling myself they will all be friends again after the law suit. Hey, it could happen right? ;) I wouldn't do what Jimmy did, but he was in quite the desperate situation right, I kind of understand where he's coming from even if I don't agree with the lengths he went to.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
It KILLS me that people are STILL acting like Jimmy is a good guy.
Desperate??? NO!! Proud and egotistical??? YES!!!
Kim just told him that she could carry them until he was back, but nooooo-ooooooo!
Jimmy won't take money his partner freely OFFERS TO GIVE HIM!
Instead, he destroys an elderly group of friends, because he can't wait!
Fuck him. He's an unmitigated ASSHOLE.

So is Chuck, but, that's beside the point!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, as much as I actually like Jimmy, it was a dick move manipulating the ladies in that manner. On the other hand, at that age I'm not sure I'd want to be waiting for a potentially larger payout (if it were me.) Assuming that the group can get their groove back, maybe he was doing them a favor. (How's that for rationalization? :) )

Enjoyed seeing the iMac G4 on Lydia's desk. Nice detail for 2003. (That particular model was produced from 2002 to mid 2004).

One of the shop signs in the mall where Jimmy was walking was "Crazy 8". Which begs the question, is there a real Crazy 8 store that was the inspiration for Domingo's alter ego? Probably just something they whipped up for the series, but only the writers know for certain.

Mike got a glimpse into the larger world of Gustavo Fringe courtesy of Lydia's comment. Loved Lydia's line about how working as a security consultant for Madrigal would look better on Mike's work history than working for SMQ Parking. :)

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
One of the shop signs in the mall where Jimmy was walking was "Crazy 8". Which begs the question, is there a real Crazy 8 store that was the inspiration for Domingo's alter ego? Probably just something they whipped up for the series, but only the writers know for certain.
"But I'll be, like, even crazier and spell it with a 'K'!"

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I looked it up and it's a real baby clothes retailer. I thought Lydia was saying his being a cop was better on the resume, but I guess it's not important either way. I did mention that the ladies really can't afford to wait. And, a million dollar payout might make someone do what Jimmy did (though I'm confident I don't have it in me).

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I'm always fascinated at the financial investments Jimmy makes when he's working his cons. Two containers of cookies, a track suit, multiple pairs of Sketchers (although he presumably could return the unworn pairs), syringes, and magnetic primer. Topped off by a celebratory bottle of Zafiro. He does not skimp, that's for sure. Could he have presented just yellow cookies? Of course. But two colors makes it look more homemade.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
"Why'd I ruin my life over a disease that doesn't exist?" Chuck's actually insightful and reflective for the first time since being on meds, and is realizing what he's put himself and everyone around him through. How different life would've been?, in other words. Also, the immediate damage of the legal matters that ruined him professionally and permanently put a stake through his relationship with Jimmy.

Also, I have to say, Jimmy handled the music-store twins rather poorly, somewhat taunting them that the ad wasn't legally "theirs" to re-run. The twins were c***s about it, but Jimmy could have threatened them with legal action, like he did with the community-service guy. It would have been (mostly) bullshit, but no moreso than the threats he made to the community-service guy. And that seemed to actually work.

What're the chances that the stunt Jimmy pulled in front of the drug dealer means he's going to get calls from a few more drug dealers looking for representation pretty soon...??

Three asterisks placed by moderator. Please let them stay there. - CA
It seems he can't hold a conversation without all the foul language. Go back to school.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I knew what the end would be when Kim got in that car....almost.

I was actually expecting this to be the end of Kim. I knew a crash was coming as she was so focused on her work. I did not expect her to survive.

Gotta say, I am really hating Jimmy. Probably as much as Chuck. Kim and Mike are the only likable characters on the show.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Gotta say, I am really hating Jimmy. Probably as much as Chuck. Kim and Mike are the only likable characters on the show.

Obviously this isn't the only show that features an unlikable or flawed protagonist. The television landscape is littered with countless examples of this narrative. (Walter White, Dexter Morgan, Tony Soprano, Frank Gallagher, etc., etc.)

My take on the characters...

Jimmy kind of reminds me of a guy I used to work with. He could be a complete A-hole and he was kind of fun to be around as long as he wasn't being an A-hole towards you. Jimmy appears to be of the slightly skewed orientation since his formative years; based on his recollections of watching his father and his business. Still very likable to me. He has a conscience, but he is able to overlook it when driven by necessity (in his mind anyway.)

You could make the argument that while Mike appears honorable (to the extent of his personal code of conduct) - but he isn't exactly as pure as the driven snow and considering his background in law enforcement he should know better.

Chuck is a smug, sanctimonious character who is incredibly unlikable. (Great work by Michael McKean, BTW.)

Kim is probably the most morally sound character (of the main cast) on the show and is probably the nicest all around person. Her main flaw is her focus on work that (at least based on the final scene of this week's episode) may be her undoing.

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jimmy kind of reminds me of a guy I used to work with. He could be a complete A-hole and he was kind of fun to be around as long as he wasn't being an A-hole towards you. Jimmy appears to be of the slightly skewed orientation since his formative years; based on his recollections of watching his father and his business. Still very likable to me. He has a conscience, but he is able to overlook it when driven by necessity (in his mind anyway.)
I think that most of the audience generally liked Jimmy early on (he's funny & charming, he's an underdog, his own brother was against him, he's much more likable than Saul Goodman, etc.) but now that he's moving into darker territory, I don't hate him as much as I wish that he wasn't becoming a worse and worse person.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks