What's new

Better Call Saul - Season 3 (AMC) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
First major promo for the new season just dropped today...and awwwww shit, look who's back, folks:

Pretty much me when I saw this spot:

giphy.gif

This show is absolutely great when it has no right to be. Bringing Gus back feels like a huge risk, but no more than anything else they've knocked out of the park to date.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Also, new DP this season: Marshall Adams. As with previous cinematographer Arthur Albert, he was handpicked by Slovis for one of the Breaking Bad episodes Slovis directed ("Live Free or Die"). So I assume we're in good hands, here.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
April?! Booooooooooo.

At least we've got a couple of new teasers to keep us sated for the moment:

These promos are suggesting that Chuck does indeed use the recording against Jimmy, and immediately.

I know it's not a good thing to try to explain everything, but if they are really going to delve into the formative years of Gus's empire, then there are a lot of interesting gaps they could fill. Like how Gus hooked up with that Madrigal exec:

900x900px-LL-ee2991fb_Gus_and_Peter.png

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Today at the 2017 winter TV Critics Association press-tour, Giancarlo Esposito delivered -- in character as Gus Fring -- boxes of "Los Pollos Hermanos"-branded fried chicken and biscuits to those present.

Ha. :laugh: :thumbsup:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
These promos are suggesting that Chuck does indeed use the recording against Jimmy, and immediately.

I suppose it's probably fruitless to speculate but I don't see how that tape alone could get Jimmy arrested. He could easily say that the confession was for Chuck's benefit since he was torturing himself over the address "screwup"

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Didn't realize Gilligan was actually less involved this year:

Gould took on the mantle of sole showrunner this season, after Gilligan stepped back mid-run to focus on his HBO limited series about cult leader Jim Jones. But the season still bears Gilligan's handiwork; he co-wrote the first episode with Gould, and he directed the first two hours.

"Obviously he’s still very much part of the show, but it's a different experience after having worked together side-by-side for 10 years," says Gould.

Though this transition was planned since the show's debut, Gilligan admits he misses being part of the day-to-day. "Stepping away has been kind of tough on me," he says. "The plan is for me to come back as soon as I'm done [with the HBO series], at least for the final season."

http://www.variety.com/2017/tv/features/better-call-saul-breaking-bad-gus-fring-giancarlo-esposito-1202022793/

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Returns tonight!

enhanced-buzz-28895-1301694293-0.jpg

I feel like a weirdo for being most excited for what happens in the monochrome Cinnabon-opening.

To celebrate, here's two straight minutes of Chuck falling and cracking his head open in the Kinko's, over and over again:

2w0mxbKiWWGgi7HNebvvCl3QP_3M4jmnScxklwGr8x8.png

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"I think YOU'RE the one who needs the nice, tight roll..."

The level of realism in this episode was broken by Ernesto's ability to open a pack of batteries in under 10 seconds. He is the most hardened criminal in this entire show. Poor Ernesto. He just wants a job, and he's gotta deal with all these freaking lunatics.

And I think Chuck wanted Ernesto to hear the tape, and it's part of a scheme to scare him into testifying against Jimmy (it was the exact moment Jimmy said, "I changed it from 1612 to 1216").

Sometimes we forget just how much of a fucking badass Mike is. Incredible. One of the strengths of this episode was that Mike's semi-complicated plan wasn't explicitly spelled out, and yet it was perfectly understandable. This is perfect "show, don't tell"-construction.

Mike seems almost supernatural. Doesn't need sleep, can outsmart any foe, does crosswords in pen...

Last edited:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
As awesome as all of the stuff with Mike was in episode one...

If the individual who installed the tracker initially in the station wagon went to check on the device when the battery was discharged, it seems like he might notice that it is in a different vehicle; and consequently Mike was aware of the tracker.

(I went back and forth between a semicolon and a hyphen in that last sentence. :) )

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like the situation depends upon a different individual checking on the tracker. If there is another interpretation please enlighten me. Is there a possible set of circumstances where the mystery individual wants Mike to know that he was being tracked. (?) I only mention that scenario out of respect for the show and how tightly written it has been.

- Walter.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
He abandoned the first car. When he got home, he checked his other car and found another tracker.

There's no maybe about Chuck tricking Ernesto into hearing the tape. That was the whole plan.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
One of the strengths of this episode was that Mike's semi-complicated plan wasn't explicitly spelled out, and yet it was perfectly understandable.
I beg to differ. I understood the end game of the plan, but what was that stuff about hooking the radio up to it?

And it's a good thing Mike only drives really old cars that wouldn't have the gas cap attached.

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
I beg to differ. I understood the end game of the plan, but what was that stuff about hooking the radio up to it?

And it's a good thing Mike only drives really old cars that wouldn't have the gas cap attached.

Mike had replaced the tracking device with one of his own. Then he used the radio to run down the batteries from the original tracking device so the men surveilling him would come to replace their device. Only the device they swapped out wasn't their bug with the dead battery but Mike's replacement. Now he is tracking them.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Mike had replaced the tracking device with one of his own. Then he used the radio to run down the batteries from the original tracking device so the men surveilling him would come to replace their device. Only the device they swapped out wasn't their bug with the dead battery but Mike's replacement. Now he is tracking them.
Okay I guess I didn't understand why he didn't just pull the battery...that would have had the same effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceriano
Recent bookmarks