What's new

Better Call Saul (AMC) - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I. LOVE. THIS. SHOW. Not as much as Breaking Bad mind you, but it really is damn good.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
No, the neighbor lady isn't Carol from Breaking Bad. (Googled her image).

The show is off to a great start. As soon as Saul began climbing the ladder, everything clicked into place - informed by the opening minutes of the show.

Loved some of the smaller moments in the show, including the monologue of insults and threats from Saul's partner in the alley, and Kim's slight smile reacting to the news coverage of the local hero.

- Walter.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Overall, I really like the show. Not Breaking Bad quality, but entertaining enough to keep me coming back.

I am just a wee bit worried about this show making it to a second season.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It was renewed for a second season before the first episode even aired. I'm not sure I agree with the practice, but I guess it works out if I like the show.

I guess if things really fell apart, AMC could rescind the order. It was made in June 2014.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Going back a couple pages - I find most shows need a good 5 or 6 episodes before I'm hooked. They've usually gotten past learning who the characters are and start getting to the main story arc by that point.

My only disappointment with this week's episode is we still seem to be waiting for the main arc to happen.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The Talking Sex Toilet(TM) reminded me of that South Park episode where Craig's mom got sucked by the toilet:

SOUTH-PARK-S16-Reverse-Cowgirl2.jpg

...Which is almost as creepy as this toilet:

2265_Creepy_ass_toilet215.jpg

anigif_enhanced-32510-1397860760-1.gif

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm finding that one of my favorite aspects of this show is the anticipation of the pay-off; seeing the setup. Loved the Matlock setup for elder law / the visit to the retirement home. I just could not stop laughing.

The episode also had another scene that highlighted Jimmy's ability to sell a complete lie. Telling Howard (convincingly) that he is going to have Chuck committed when nothing is further from the truth.

Looks like we are going to be seeing quite a bit of Mike in the next episode.

- Walter.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
This is one of those shows where the hour feels like 20 minutes. Just when we were finding more about Mike - the credits pop up. Argh!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm really warming to Kim. I hope she doesn't get sent to Bermuda.

The other thing I hope they stick true to is that they have firmly established that Chuck does not have a physical ailment, it is entirely mental. If they go back and say 'aha the bed's electronics were not powerful enough to trigger it where the pocket flashlight was' I will be very disappointed.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"Watch it, that's my will-writing hand."

Like everybody else, I pretty much lost it during his Matlock-analysis. And the theme from The Third Man, deployed during the nursing home sequence, is marvelous in all contexts. Speaking of, wasn't that Casa Tranquilo Jimmy paid a visit to?

I noticed an old man in a wheelchair watching TV with his back to the camera right before they cut to commercial, but I don't know if Hector Salamanca would be a big Jeopardy! fan.

Also: SHABAKA

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm glad this show does what I missed about Breaking Bad: the big moment you want to see more of followed by silence and the Vince Gilligan/Peter Gould credit. In this case, we know from BB that Mike violated his daughter's restraining order, but I still want to see it play out right now and not next week.

What an absurd, hilarious episode. Just the line "I found the Alpine shepherd boy!" had me rolling. I thought any moment he was going to accidentally break a Hummel or two.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Greg_S_H said:
I'm glad this show does what I missed about Breaking Bad: the big moment you want to see more of followed by silence and the Vince Gilligan/Peter Gould credit. In this case, we know from BB that Mike violated his daughter's restraining order, but I still want to see it play out right now and not next week.

What an absurd, hilarious episode. Just the line "I found the Alpine shepherd boy!" had me rolling. I thought any moment he was going to accidentally break a Hummel or two.
"Alpine Shepard Boy" was also the title of the episode. It's the only episode of the season to have a title that does not end with a long "o" letter/sound.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
God, I've missed you, Mike. I suspect Jonathan Banks may well have another Emmy nomination coming his way after his work tonight. Tremendous stuff.

"Those bastards killed him anyway." -- Very nearly Mike's own obit. Tarantulas, and the little boys who collect them, were indeed in some ways the beginning of the end for Mr. Mike Ehrmantraut. I couldn't take a breath during the last 20 minutes of this episode.

Mike is for right now resisting entrée into the Albuquerque criminal world, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see the friendly veterinarian return and start introducing him to a guy who knows a guy who eventually leads him to a certain local fast-food chicken magnate.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
This rivals some of the better Breaking Bad episodes, not even kidding. Absolutely gut-wrenching stuff here. Maybe it had to do with the fact that I was watching the episode with my 3 month old son sleeping in my arms, but I was almost put to tears by the end. I feel sorry for anyone who ditched this show after the first few episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks