1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Better Call Saul (AMC) - Season 1

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by joshEH, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    That's the argument my loser PD used.

TravisR likes this.
  2. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    And there was no bleeding, either.

3. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    "Stop...helping." Holy fuck, Tuco.

Gonzo and No-Doze! The whole crew's back together again, LOL. :D

Not sure if anyone caught this, but the model of large-caliber handgun Tuco pulls on Jimmy is aptly nicknamed "The Judge" in real-life hardcore gun-nut circles (manufactured by Taurus Firearms). Later in the desert, Tuco starts beaming with pride when Jimmy calls him "The Judge." Love the way the writers are pulling all of this together with the subtle little nuances and details.

Nice to see a familiar face from Orphan Black (Michael Mando, playing Tuco's associate Nacho) enter the Heisenverse. Although it was kinda weird seeing Vic the Dick being the straight-man to Tuco's special breed of psychopathy. It was fascinating watching the differences between how Walt dealt with Tuco and how Saul deals with him. Saul talks so fast that Tuco is forced to just sort of blindly accept his arguments. Saul is excellent at logically (more or less) appealing to ego. It's how he handled Walt so well (most of the time).

I can see the producers using Tuco very sparingly, seeing as how his mad-dog volatility would eventually raise the stakes to unrealistically high levels as far as Jimmy's survivability is concerned (plus he'd feel like too much of a Walter White crutch this early on).

Because Nacho has no pre-established future relationship with Walt and Jesse, the show can pretty much do anything it wants with his character, which offers refreshingly unpredictable storyline possibilities.

Love how the show continues to take its own sweet time parceling out the Mike; Gilligan and his team clearly have a long-term plan going, here. (And Jimmy comparing Mike Ehrmantraut to a troll under a bridge was just too damn funny.)

4. Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H Supporting Actor

It gets the nickname due to the fact many real life Judges carry this weapon on their person for protection. It's certainly NOT the most powerful handgun for its size though, only a .45. If they truly wanted something to make an impression, then a S&W .500 certainly would have been a better choice. That handgun can literally take down any animal, zombie, etc. in one shot kill. The gun is so powerful, it can be heard for blocks and the recoil and concussion from it actually have warnings if you have health issues to shoot it at your own risk.

Now that would be a REAL "Judge" and something I have never seen on screen either in a movie or TV. :D

joshEH likes this.
  5. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    *weeps for Jamie Luner's lost youth*

TonyD likes this.
  6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

The pilot was good but thanks to the scenes in the desert that episode was excellent.

I knew I wouldn't be the only one to see them.

7. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Someone on the Internet just pointed out that Krazy 8 (from BB's first few episodes) appeared as one of Jimmy's clients during the whole court-montage last night (actor Max Arciniega is credited at the end). Holy crap, this show, with the tiny, throwaway details. I didn't even catch this one.

Tuco may be a violent, idiotic psychopath, but damn if he doesn't care for his elders. Quite sweet, really. And it looks like he might actually enjoy cooking.

The "salsa" dried up, though. Shame.

8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Wow. The beautifully played tribute to "All That Jazz" blew me away.

Pretty decent second episode

9. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Assuming you mean the bar scene, it's Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Esquivel. I've got every note the man recorded and it's not even a little surprising to see it turn up in Gilligan's production. I highly recommend it if you like that '50s swinging bachelor sound. And, it was designed to show off those swanky new hi-fi stereos, so I'm sure alternate universe '50s-with-internet Ronald Epstein was talking about it on Home Concert Hall Forum. ;) Last I checked, though, it was all out of print with only one album on iTunes.

Jimmy may be somewhat cowardly, but it takes some balls to tell Tuco, "Use your words."

"You are the worst lawyer ever!"

"I just talked you down from a death sentence to six months probation. I'm the best lawyer ever."

Anyone iffy on the premiere should be pretty confident. We're on totally solid ground now. The bad thing is that I'm spoiled and am going to miss my Odenkirk fix tonight.

10. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    I like that Tuco, while still nuts and full of rage, isn't yet as balls-to-the-wall insane as he will be in Breaking Bad. Being persistently high on his own supply of meth just amps him to "11."

[​IMG]

Also, loved the nice nod to this guy's eventual fate...

[​IMG]

Tina_H_V, TravisR and Greg_S_H like this.
  11. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Ron is speaking of the montage set to classical music where Saul says "It's showtime folks!" to the mirror as we see his public defender business take off.

- Steve

12. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Oh, then that paragraph of mine was for nothing. :wacko:

13. Tommy R

Tommy R Screenwriter

Tommy
    I'm lovin' this show so far! I didn't find the pilot boring at all. I was curious about the brother's illness, but after seeing his reaction to a cell being in his house and the space blanket, it's clear he's a bit...off. lol! I actually thought he was really sick with cancer or something first.

14. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    I will keep watching, but so far, I am not liking it nearly as much as I liked the first 2 episodes of its parent show. I always thought that Saul (or Jimmy) was a lot better in the right amount of doses. I did like seeing the return of Taco though, and how we see his soft side when it comes to taking care of his elders.

I'll give it a whole season, as this show has huge shoes to fill, and needs time to stand on its own 2 feet. And I forgotten that another new episode aired on Monday, but luckily, was able to catch a repeat on Tuesday.

15. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Actually, I believe it was, "I just talked you down from a death sentence to a broken leg. I'm the best lawyer ever." (Which makes it way better...)

16. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Nope. I played it back as I typed it. I like it the way it is because it makes clear that the desert scene was Jimmy plying his trade under fire in an impromptu courtroom.

17. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    I'm waiting for them to reveal that Nacho's real name is "Lalo" or "Ignacio" -- the two names Saul sputtered when Walt and Jesse had him at gunpoint, way back in BrBa Season 2.

The prolific Arthur Albert, whom Michael Slovis handpicked for DOP duties on the Breaking Bad episodes Slovis directed, is really shooting the hell out of this. Just read that while Breaking Bad was shot entirely on 35mm film, Better Call Saul is shot using 4K RED Digital Cinema cameras.

Chuck's technophobia is too off-the-wall to be taken at face value. There's a reveal coming, surely. Could Hamlin have somehow caused it? Also, I'm desperate for more info on the relationship between Saul and the blonde woman at the Deathstar law firm.

Finally, Kelley Dixon is once again helming the Insider Podcast for this show (just like the old days). It's on iTunes, and here are direct links: Episode 101 and Episode 102.

18. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Yeah, why isn't there a 'Talking Saul' on AMC?

19. Walter C

Walter C Cinematographer

Walter
    My guess is because AMC is waiting and seeing if this show becomes a huge hit. I don't think "The Walking Dead" started to have an aftershow until the 2nd season. Plus, I think it would be asking a lot for Hardwick to do double duty for 2 shows back-to-back.

In terms of listening to discussions and reviews of TV shows, I have enjoyed listening to Afterbuzz TV on YouTube. A lot better than having to read that garbage Television Without Pity.

20. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Watching a good man fall from grace in Breaking Bad is compelling.

Watching a shyster lawyer dig himself into a deeper hole.... not so much.

I'll give it a few more episodes but I agree with the notion that some characters work better as supporting ones in small doses.