What's new

Better Cables or Monster Video 3 for component connection? (1 Viewer)

Karl_O

Stunt Coordinator
I had been thinking of replacing my Monster Video 2 component cable with Monster Video 3, but unfortunately the local retail stores in my area does not have it in stock. I am considering buying Monster Video 3 on-line, but I need to know about component cables from another company: Better Cables. I would like to know which component cable (Monster Video 3 or Better Cables) should I buy.

Any suggestions?

H

Hank

I was using a 2m run of Monster Video3 component cable when I first got my RPTV. I than switched to Bettercables Silver Serpent Component cable. I have been using the Serpent since. IMO it is better than MCV3 and is a better made cable. The Serpent produces a very fine layered detailed picture.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I am with Bob. Actually, anything BUT monster. I have used many cables from Catcables.com and love them but not their component. I would highly reccomend catcables. I have speaker cable, many silvercat interconnects (XLR and RCA) and some custom stuff that Doug did for me. Love them.

Marc

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well... Monster is decent quality Yes, I have several Monster cables in my system. Monsters marketing techniques - dont get me started.

But you pay a lot for the ability to go down to the store and pick up retail packages of Monster cables.

Karl: Let me guess. You are hoping to change from Monster 2 to Monster 3 and get a visible improvement in picture, right?

I'm afraid that's not likely to happen. The changes due to a 'better' cable are often small, find details. And unless you have a fairly 'sensitive' system, you may not notice any change at all.

A 'sensitive' system is a judgement call, but I would say your equipment could use a 'better' cable if it has any of the following:

- Display size greater than about 40"
- Display is a HDTV that up-converts the signal
- You are pushing progressive or HD video
- You have fairly long runs

So Karl, unless your equipment falls into one of these catagories, I'd suggest you not bother upgrading.

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
I know this is off topic, but has anybody used Blue Jean Cables and not been satified? I find it to be better priced for consumers like me.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
I agree with Mark. For the price, I believe that Blue Jeans Cables are the best for the price range. They don't use silver coated cable, but they do use quality stuff, such as the Canare connectors. I just ordered their 2 foot digital coax, and am anxious to try it out. Their price on their new component cable is too good to be ignored. Under $50.00 for a 6 footer. Monster's connectors leave much to be desired. I have the Video 3 Component cable, and the workmanship on it was quite sloppy. The biggest error I can see in Monster's connectors is that they clamp around the end of the coax jacket, which can cause a change in the impedance. And yes, their prices are too high.

Just my opinion.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The biggest error I can see in Monster's connectors is that they clamp around the end of the coax jacket, which can cause a change in the impedance
???

Then you know something I dont. My understanding was that the more critical issue is the space between the center-conductor and the shield. The outer jacket did not have much effect. I thought the outer jacket of the more industrial Canare/Belden cables are stiff/ugly/PVC plastic for strength so it can be pulled with hundreds of pounds of force through tubes without damaging the inner parts.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
I do not believe that Monster uses the Canare/Belden cables. They are not stiff at all, at least not the video 2 and 3. You can clamp down too hard and cause a change of impedance, which can cause reflections at video frequencies. If you pull a cable with hundreds of pounds of force, it can cause some distortion in the cable due to some stretching. Luckily, at home on your system, you don't have to do that. The Monster connector, if you haven't seen it, is just a C-clamp of metal, with teeth in the edges, they are designed to grip into the outer cable cover, and can also pierce into the shielding if clamped too hard. For the price that Monster asks for their top end cables, they should be using a top-end connector as well, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks