Better Audio than Toshiba SD-9200?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark All, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

I've been using a Toshiba SD-9200 DVD player for about a year and a half. I use it primarily as a DVD-Audio player and CD player now because it has been surpassed in video quality by sub $200 DVD players. I'm keeping it because I haven't found a DVD machine with better audio quality through the analog connections. Is there a better sounding machine available now that anyone has used to compare with the Toshiba? I won't consider the Denon 9000 because of its price. How about Marantz, Pioneer, or Yamaha? Anything else?

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Mark,
    The Sony 999ES has killer video and audio.
    Of course, you have to step up to Super Audio..[​IMG]

3. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Mark,

Videowise, the Yamaha will be the best of the bunch you mentioned, having the best MEI (Panasonic) MPEG decoder they make, which means no chroma bug. Add to that Faroudja deinterlacing and you have a formidable video player.

All of the others (Marantz, Pioneer and the Onkyo and Integra pieces you didn't mention) have chroma bug and inferiour deinterlacing.

Audio quality wise, the Marantz DV-8300 will have the best analog stage following the DACs, which are identical across all the units.

If you're happy with the DVD-Video performance of your current $200 player, I'd look at the Marantz, although I imagine if you wanted to get back to just one box again that Yammie would be awfully tempting.

Regards,

4. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

Thanks guys. I like Sony ES products in general, so the new Sony DVD player is tempting. I do have an inexpensive Sony non-progressive scan DVD-SACD changer (model 615 or something like that). SACD seems to be equal to DVD-A for two channel sound, but I find DVD-A to be far superior in surround format. The best quality video-wise I have is a Panasonic CP-72. The picture's great, but I want to return it because it physically looks and feels cheap and makes a low whirring sound I can hear in quiet passages of movies. It's not defective in any way; it just is what it is. It is very good for the price.

It may be overly picky, but I think I should probably cross off the Marantz/Pioneer units. No sense in replacing one chroma-bug machine with another, even if the bug is lessened in the newer players. So, I'm now considering the Sony or Yamaha. My current Sony changer will end up in a second room system without a progressive compatible TV. I'll keep the Toshiba and just use it for audio.

John, were you referring to the Yamaha changer or the single disc unit?

5. Mark LP

Mark LP Agent

Mark,

If you're looking for a sonic improvemnet you need to see how it balances with the speakers you listen to or are planning on listening to. All componets you purchase have a signature sound and you need to listen to them to see if you like them. personally, I dont like sony's sound. I'm more partial to Integra(Onkyo) Denon and Yamaha. I may have to add one more though. I'm going to look at a multi-disc changer by rotel.
    It's also important to decide how you are going to connect all your analog cables in to your receiver/separares. I have the Integra 8.3 and because it's handling my dvd-video, dvd-audio and sacd, I only have to have one set of 8 analog cables.(my set-up is 7.1channel). This makes my life much easier.

Good luck,
    Mark

6. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Mark,

I'm referring to the new Yamaha Universal player, model # includes S2300 I think. It's a single disc player.

Regards,

7. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

This has been very helpful. There is an article from December on the www.hometheaterhifi.com Web site that identifies available machines and identifies those with and without the chroma bug. I was led there by a post in another thread. I tried to post the link here but couldn't get it to work.
    I didn't think the new Sony ES unit would have the bug. I also didn't know Arcam units (rave reviews and high price tags) use the same decoders Toshiba uses. I took a look at the specs of the Yamaha DVD-S2300 on the Yamaha Web site. It looks like this must be the best player out now under $1000 (barely). It has similar audio specs as the Toshiba, plays SACD and DVD-A, does bass management (although I can't tell if it's for both formats), and uses the Panasonic decoder. I remember hearing a couple of years ago that Yamaha was buying their video sections from Matsushita and putting beefed up power supplies and audio circuits in their DVD units. I'll be going out tomorrow to see if I can find a 2300. Maybe I will be able to go from three boxes to one.