What's new

Bette DVD? (1 Viewer)

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Despite the bad reviews, and Ms. Midler's dislike of it, I really enjoyed this series and thought it deserved a better fate. I'm hoping the first and only season gets released. But I'm guessing that Bette will not be promoting "Bette".

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I almost wonder considering a little known actress named Lindsey Lohan who has totally slipped into obscurity since happened to play Bette's daughter in the pilot episode, if that could help the DVD chances.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
And I'm guessing the copious use of songs from her repertoire will drive the cost of the set up, making a release unlikely.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
since it's all Bette's songs, would it be too hard, because I'm sure if she was asked to work on a DVD set of her show, she wouldn't go "no, I don't want Wind Beneath My Wings used"

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Unless she would get profits from the show, I can't imagine that she would participate in a release. She's said publicly that she wanted off the show and that she hates doing sitcoms. It's unfortunate, especially since it lasted less than a season and we aren't likely too it in reruns. I have only some of the eps on tape but not all.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I could see Shout!Factory doing the show.

Remember, Shout!Factory brought All American Girl to DVD, and actually got Margaret Cho's participation on it, and Margaret has been very vocal about bashing and speaking ill of that show just like the Divine Miss M has done with "Bette". I think enough time has passed that Bette can look back on the show and record commentary tracks making fun of how stupid the show was or something, like Cho has.

MattHR

Screenwriter
According to IMDB, it was a CBS/Sony/Midler co-production distributed by Sony. So any DVD would probably be released by Sony. But maybe Bette has majority ownership, and could then decide who gets to release it, if at all.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, since Shout!Factory is a Sony offshoot, then they would be perfect if they ever decided to put Bette on DVD.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I totally forgot about this series; Bette sure has a lot of fans though; it'd probably sell all right. I think there's even some unaired episodes which is always a + on dvds. I looked at epguides.com....it says there was a lost episode that aired on Jan. 1 of this year???? Uh, why would they do that. Maybe it was a Bette Midler special or something?? I can't believe they'd air one random episode out of the blue, years after the shows' cancellation.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Yes, there are unaired episodes as far as I know. I believe the show shut down production for a while, recast the husband, and went back into production for a few episodes before being cancelled. Robert Hays was the new husband and I think only one of his episodes ever aired. The show was dead by then. But it's true that some other short-lived shows are also coming out so perhaps that will happen with this one. It was quite a good show. But with Joanna Gleason as a co-star they could hardly go wrong.

LCD22

Screenwriter
That's what I remember. The last episode I saw was the first episode with Robert Hayes (I love their explanation for why Bette's husband look different). I was pissed when they canceled the series before Robert Hayes (who like Kyle Chandler and Christopher Gorham, with the exception of "Early Edition" - though that series had it share of ups-and-downs, gets cast in series and doesn't last long) had a chance.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
There were two unaired episodes. Those have turned up on VHS via eBay. I have them and all of the other episodes. It was reran on an HD chennel not long ago. It was then that I was able to get the one episode that I missed during the original run of the series.

It wasn't a great show, but it had its moments. There are a few really good episodes. In fact, the two unaired episodes are really rather good. Robert Hayes and Bette seemed to have decent chemistry and it was a shame it got cancelled early. When Robert Hayes joined the cast, the shows seemed to finally find its stride, but it was too little too late.

I would buy a DVD set of the show. I'm a huge Bette fan.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
This ran for a while on HDNet last year. Definitely a cute little series, but I've never understood why star vehicles suffer from such lame writing.
It's as if they feel they shouldn't spend money in that neighborhood.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks