Betrayal in the Sports World (Done with baseball!)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Bryan Ri, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    If this thread shouldn't be on the board or in this section, then moderators feel free to remove it. But I figure sports are on TV, so it's worth a shot.

I don't know if any of you saw the news today, but it appears as though Barry Bonds, Gary Scheffield, and Jason Giambi have all accepted steroids, in addition to others.
    If this is true, I must say that I feel utterly betrayed. I am a huge baseball fanatic (my team is the Yankees, since the days they sucked in my childhoom, to their prominent years now) and all I've done the past few years is defend these guys that were accused of taking steroids. I kept throwing out your innocent until proven guilty, they'll volunteer to take tests, they're just bigger guys in general, blah blah blah.

And now apparently I'm a liar. Well guess what baseball, I'm extremely close to turning my back on you. Will I still watch games? Of course. Will I still go to them? No. Will I buy baseball parifinalia? No. Baseball is turning into an absolute disgrace, from top to bottom. I feel betrayed, and I'm sick of supporting it.

Bryan

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I gave up on baseball a long, long time ago. Just when you think they've hit bottom, they dig down a few more feet.

3. chris rick

chris rick Second Unit

I gotta say that the news about Bonds, Sheffield and Giambi using steroids is really disheartening. I am a huge Bonds fan (I think he is one of the best baseball players of all time) but this is sickening. What a sad state this game is in, especially when it used to be America's game played by kids on sandlots and little league fields. The MLBPA should be ashamed of itself! What irks me even more is that hockey is dying a slow death, while rarely does an NHL athlete get accused of rape, steroid use, or homicide! I have to rant because this won't really effect how people view baseball. People will still watch the Yankees play for the World Series every year, regardless of this news. But at some point any true fan has to say that this game has been bastardized by steroids, ungodly contracts, and stars with bigger egos than whole organizations. This is not the game that I remember growing up. I was already losing all faith in baseball, and this just seals the deal for me. It's a damn shame too because we have a beautiful new field in Philadelphia this year!

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

This is really nothing new. Many years ago, the Babe signed a big contract. A reporter commenting on the size of the contract observed that ‘his salary was more than the President’s’, to which Ruth replied, ‘I had a better year’. [​IMG]

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Not to mention a beautiful pitching staff!

Steroid use is rampant in Baseball and has been for years. Maybe this kind of publicity will force them to do something about it.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Are you really surprised to discover that Bonds was taking steroids? If so, then you were just fooling yourself. Baseball turned a blind eye to all this because they needed the home runs to get people back to the stadiums after the strike/lockout farce. The sport's integrity has fallen almost to the professional boxing level, IMO. They let their players take performance-enhancing chemicals, cancel a World Series for absolutely no reason (nothing changed economically after that strike), have an idiot owner as commissioner, and are actually debating whether to let an admitted gambler of baseball games into the Hall of Fame.

After being an avid baseball fan for 25 years, I gave up on MLB after the cancellation of the '94 World Series. Nothing the sport has done since then has given me reason to come back. I just do not care anymore.

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Just curious, since I'm not a baseball fan. Why does this affect your enjoyment of the sport?

Personally, I watch basketball, golf and hockey, and I don't really care whether the guys take steroids or whatever, as long as the game itself is entertaining. It seems to be a little different for baseball fans though. How come?

8. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

For a few reasons.

Baseball, more than any other team sport, relies on its history and statistics to promote the game. The rules are constant.

Secondly, the message for other athletes (use the drugs or lose your job) and for kids (steroids are the way to riches) is terrible.

9. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I don't see how anyone could be surprised that MLB has rampant steroid use, just the fact they never tested for Steroids should of been proof enough that there was major issues.

This black eye on MLB is almost like wondering if the games are fixed, next time Bonds or someone jacks a ball out we will all be thinking "Man, that roided up player jacked the s*** out of the ball."

At least I can still watch my favorite players A-Rod and Jeter play and not think they are juicing(I doubt they did or would).

10. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Does anyone not believe that football players also use steroids? Even if they test for it at the pro level, wouldn't earlier use of it explain why players are so much bigger now? 300 pound linemen used to be somewhat exceptional. Is "Jumbo" Elliot any bigger than the average OLer nowadays?

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Yes, I agree that no one should have been surprised at this. All of the hitters who were at one time a lean 180-190lbs all the sudden come back after one off-season and are 240lbs and built like linebackers should have been warning enough.

In fact, steroid use in general in the big money sports shouldn't be surprising. When contracts were more "normal" amounts there wasn't a huge demand for them. But when 40-50 home runs nearly guarantees you a $30+ million dollar contract, who wouldn't juice up to get those numbers?

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

And people thought ESPN's "Playmakers" was over the top in their storylines...

13. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    Scott,

I don't think I was kidding myself, I was just abiding to the innocent until proven guilty ideology that this country's judicial system holds true. You can point fingers all you want, but the fact is, Bonds was a consistantly good hitter before he got bigger. Giambi was big when he came into the league. So I defended them.

And to answer the other question, it hurts the integrity of the game, because it is so heavily influenced by records. If player A holds a record, then player B breaks it while on steroids, should it stand?

Bryan

14. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I think probably the saddest part is that barring a serious injury, Bonds is sure to break Aaron's record. He's only 97 back right now, so he'll easily break that in 3 seasons. If Bonds is guilty of using steroids I think his records should be disregarded as it is a disgrace to great players such as Aaron. Also, everyone talks about how gambling takes away the integrity of the game. Personally I don't think what Rose did as a manager (assuming he didn't do it as a player) is any worse than these guys taking steroids, assuming they are guilty.

15. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

is it me or does it seem like every sport is going down the drain?

baseball has become a joke, with steriods, umpires and their "inpretation of the strike zone", etc...

basketball is ridiculous, i swear a saw a highlight in which Lebron James went from 10 feet outside the three point arc to the hoop for a dunk without dribbling, shaq is still just plowing people over, etc...

and i am getting sick of college sports with the way the NCAA is screwing everything up...

it truly is a sad day when the sports i cherished as a youngster have been transformed into the travesties that they are now.

the only sport i really watch any more is football, i also watch golf, but whether that is a sport or not is debatable.

edited to avoid confusion per Patrick...i wish i could spell

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Sorry, this just struck me funny. [​IMG] My first throught was, do pro sports have a lot of transvestites playing nowadays?

17. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

the sad thing is, i actually proof read my posts...good thing that isn't my job

18. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

Don't forget the financial disaster that is hockey.

19. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I haven't been following tennis as much as I used to, but I think it's doing just fine. I think it's just the "team" sports that are going down the drain.

20. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

How can Bonds be a surprise? The guy totally transformed. He used to steal a lot of bases. He was thin and agile. Then all of a sudden he's a big galloot.

Just don't tell me my boy Jim Thome is on the 'roids.