1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Bethesda's next Fallout decloaks

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sam Posten, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  2. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Does anyone have a mental backstory for their Fallout 4 character yet? I've warped mine so that CHINNER! was part of a VR experiment designed to socially rehabilitate violent psychopaths by exposing them to a family environment in an attempt to form empathic bonds.

Unfortunately, a freak mishap has left CHINNER! out of time and in a post-apocalyptic wasteland attempting to build family units wherever he finds them, but occasionally exploding into crowbar-frenzies when he finds his newfound family members sitting in the "wrong" chair or whining a bit too much about lack of food.

3. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Also, if anyone is desperate for circuit boards, head east from Sanctuary and look for a satellite dish on the map. There's an underground facility where I found a hotplate and some busted computer equipment, which equated to seven crafting-pieces when broken down.

There's a named boss Raider in there with a minigun, but a couple of frag grenades I found in a bin swiftly rendered her into a fine paste with which to decorate the walls.

4. Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey Screenwriter

Chuck Anstey
    After 17 hours into it, it definitely has way more of a FO3 feel than FO:NV. Relatively very few people and no sense of a connected wasteland, just small pockets of unrelated groups or areas. Sort of like every grouping is a "Republic of Dave". It is interesting that what I wanted in FO4, which was town building, I got except that it isn't part of the main plot line and the disconnected wasteland might be required to enhance this feature, i.e. bring civilization and trade routes to an uncivilized area. I just wish it seemed to have more of an impact on the game itself because so far it seems like a pure distraction than something to help me survive the wasteland.

Plus every side-quest and problem seems to be only solved with a gun or at least 90% of each quest it is even if you can talk your way out of the final showdown.

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Best Buy appears to be giving away Fallout (and a charger) for free with all PS4 bundles at the moment.

6. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Holy crap. Something just crash-landed somewhere in the distance?? That was really far off. Not really heading in that direction, but I will definitely check that out later...

Not letting my OCD take over this time. Nice try, Fallout.

Holy shit, the Feral Ghouls in this game put most zombie games to shame -- the bastards run, climb, and crawl without stopping just to get to you, and getting arms and legs blown off don't slow down their murderous intent one bit.

Seriously, put a bayonet or melee add-on onto your main gun, because it's an absolute must for ghoul encounters -- no matter how many shots you get in, one or two of the horde WILL get close enough to claw at your face.

I've made the Laser Musket into a kick-ass sniper rifle. Longer barrel, upped the crank to 4, gave it a scope. The musket shoots off all its charges in one blast, so if I crank it up to x4 damage, I drop a Super Mutant with one shot.

Radioman970 and Sam Posten like this.
  7. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Also, for those of you enjoying the Diamond City Radio station, fans of NBC's Community will likely remember Brendan Hunt, the actor behind the voice of the Diamond City DJ, from back in Season 3 of that series:

8. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Whatever you fucking do, don't antagonize the Swan.

9. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Haha, holy shit -- USS Constitution mission spoilers:

Watching that ship
    take off and then promptly smash into another tower was goddamn glorious. Especially because I'd just fired up the Classical Radio station for accompaniment. Brilliant. :lol:

Also, Bethesda has a sick sense of humor. I found
    a pedophile's van.

10. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Kind of hit a wall around Level 9; seemed like my weapons stopped doing enough damage, and was having a hard time finding new ones. Got mauled by some Yao Guai. Mirelurks were putting me in some pain.

Decided to raid a Federal Weapons Depot to address the situation. Creep up on the location from atop some rocky terrain -- this is one over by the robot farm. I scope it out, lots of raiders. A raider in some fucking power armor. Mutant dogs. Shit, man.

So I pop a flare and start sniping out some of the raiders. The guy in power armor comes charging up the hill, Dogmeat rushes down and starts fighting the hellhounds. Suddenly I turn around, and a whole freaking platoon of Minutemen are rushing in from over the ridgeline. It's a full-on battle now, grenades going off everywhere, shit exploding all over the place.

Man, it was great.

Nothing too earth-shattering in the Depot, turns out. But the morale-boost is the important thing.

11. DavidMiller

DavidMiller Screenwriter

David Miller
    I'm about 30 hrs in level 22, this game is crazy addicting... I keep tweaking my house, building beds,etc trying to build up my city. I do keep running into Legionary Monsters / People / Machines that keep kicking my butt.

Radioman970 likes this.
  12. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    I absolutely love how Diamond City gets decorated for the holidays. I went there on Christmas Day (game time), and it was just trees and colored lights everywhere. Had no idea the game even did that!

If you're playing this game, ignore Fast Travel (except if a settlement's under attack). If you get a mission across the map, walk there. Interesting stuff will happen to you on the way, and there are plenty of unmarked points on the map that contain moments.

My favorite odd moment so far was when we got attacked by three raiders on a bridge in the southern corner of the map -- suddenly the head raider shouts:

"Hang on! Hold fire! Nick...is that you??" (traveling with Valentine at this point) "Oh, man, I'm sorry. I owe you big time, man. We'd never have jumped you if we knew. On you go."

Valentine: "Oh...sure...not a problem. Glad to see you made something of yourself...I guess."

Just so much little hidden stuff in this game. (The voice in the fridge is the other one I could quite easily have walked past once and never seen again on fast-travel.)

Radioman970 likes this.
  13. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Also, I've made Marcy Long's shack Sanctuary's only restroom, and installed a bright light powered by a generator just outside the door. The generator is angled near the doorway to pump the all its exhaust into the tiny shack.

The sack hood she's been burdened to wear will filter some of the gas, and the shack's walls are just drafty enough that she'll live.

14. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Maybe this game isn't for me. I just started after finishing Tomb Raider, and it just feels.. clunky. I can't really get into the character and I don't know what I'm supposed to even do. I got out of the vault, scavenged some weapons and found my way to Concord. Saw the shoot out, had no idea who's side I was supposed to be on and got shot to hell twice and thought "eh"..

The graphics in this are really pretty terrible so far (PS4) and so it just isn't clicking for me.. some of these games get such incredibly high reviews (like this and Witcher 3) and then I just can't seem to get enough narrative out of them to care about anyone. I'm hoping there is something here, I'll try to pick it back up tomorrow..

15. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    So I've been exploring for a few hours and the only quests I have are Corvega Factory and Diamond City. Both seem way to above my level (5). Advice?

16. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    [​IMG]

cracked.com (not sure if this was posted yet... hahaha)

Sam Posten likes this.
  17. DavidMiller

DavidMiller Screenwriter

David Miller
    Did you go to Concord? You rescue the minuteman then there are lots of easier side quests.

18. DavidMiller

DavidMiller Screenwriter

David Miller
    I will say I'm seeing a ton more glitches. The bad ones seem when I'm about to go into battle and something wacky happens and I fall through the planet and end up a mile away...

19. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    That's my problem. I went toward the Tenison area (the minutemen give you that quest) stumbled onto the satellite dish, cleared that out (after a lot of trial and error) everything seems so far so I burn through the darn Fusion Core thing that I first got quick.

I got a new one from the satellite dish area..

But.. and this is a big problem: playing on the PS4 this game crashes. A lot. I mean, A LOT. Fight through a couple of battles, crash.

Fall in a stairwell get jammed inside a wall or something.

Comparative to how fluid and seemingly glitch free Rise of Tomb Raider was, this thing feels like a Beta needing a lot of work

20. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Only had one crash on PC so far. Consoles gotta struggle to move a LOT of stuff in and out of memory, crashes gonna crash.

I wound up stumbling on Concorde and doing a bunch of stuff with the Brotherhood today. Got 3 T-45s in Sanctuary now and am closing in on level 10.

3 Days late but finally:

[​IMG]

Radioman970 likes this.