1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Beth Orton's "Daybreaker"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Pfeiffer, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I had really been looking forward to the new Beth Orton album "Daybreaker", and now that I've been able to spin it ten to fifteen times, I can say that I'm duly impressed. It didn't really strike me the first couple times, definitely not up to the level of Central Reservation. Having listened to it many times more, I've grown to appreciate the melodies and different instrumental arrangements. What a talent.

Looking forward to seeing her concert this week. Anybody been to this tour or have any thoughts on the album?

2. Tony Stirling

Tony Stirling Stunt Coordinator

I've enjoyed this one, too. I have her earlier CDs, and so I bought this one w/o listening. I wasn't disappointed, though, like Mark, it took a listen or two to get into it, so to speak.

I love her voice, it's really distinct, and the beat of her music works very well. Her music has been described as "techno-folk" but don't let that lable scare anyone off!! While she has worked with some electronic music artists like William Orbit and the Chemical Brothers, her music stands alone, and is really more grounded in acoustic sounds, for the most part.

Very distinct, very good. Give her a listen.

enjoy

tony

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thanks for the reviews. i've been wondering about this...may have to pick it up. for a first-time listener, would you recommend this release or a different album?

4. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

It also took a few listens for me to adapt to this album. I think it is primarily due to the much more complicated arrangements compared to her previous albums. I'm growing to like the album much more after about 5 listens. "Paris Train" has got to be favorite right now, and the first time through I didn't like that song at all.

As far as which of her albums to buy, you really can't lose with any of them, but I would say "Trailer Park" is still my favorite.

5. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

And I'd say Central Reservation. How's that for sufficiently confusing you Ted? [​IMG]

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thank you eric and mark. yes, i'm now confused! [​IMG]
    maybe i'll do some research on her. with any luck she'll be available at columbiahouse. i need to finish out that darned membership so i can cancel then resubscribe! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. David S

David S Stunt Coordinator

Anyone know where to find her new release on vinyl. I've located one site in the UK, but shipping + taxes add up. None of the usual vinyl etailers seem to have it.