Betamax for consumers: RIP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ray Chuang, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Yep, it's the end of the line of the Beta format for consumer VCR's in the USA:
    Between the easier licensing terms for VHS, longer recording times, and finally the Super VHS higher-resolution format, no wonder Beta quickly fell out of favor with home consumers. It's also the reason why Sony decided to emphasize its camcorder formats (8 mm and MiniDV) for more success.
    I think a lot of people will miss this format. [​IMG]

2. charles white

charles white Second Unit

I read the article at news.com. I didn't know Sony was still building Betamax recorders. Unfortunately, the superior format
    lost the war.

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I always liked the idea of the small 8mm format & it could of replaced VHS & won the war if, as usual, Sony had come out at the gate with lower prices for it than VHS or had at least been in the ballpark with the entry level VHS vcr's and by doing that they would of locked up the camcorcer market for themselves. Sony did the same thing with the MINI-DISC that also could have been a really big hit & replaced CD's but not at the prices that Sony wanted for them. That's one good thing about China in the market now it's going to keep the prices down on new formats & it might make companies think twice about new format prices. Right now I think Panasonic & Philips is missing the boat at not putting out a $399.99 List for entry level DVD recorders just think how much of the population would have them already. Which ever company did that right now could probably capture the dvd recorder market. They just seem to be trying to recope the money for R&D as fast as they can instead of looking at the long hall of capturing the market.

4. Captain Spaulding

Captain Spaulding Second Unit

Jay
    Sigh.....I loved my old BetaMax VCR.....

5. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I still have an HL-SF2000; works great, but it only gets used when several shows I want to watch are on at the same time, which is VERY rare.

6. Brian Sanger

Brian Sanger Extra

Well at least Betamax had a longer shelf-life than D-VHS will. Get ready for a similar story about that format's short-lived lifespan once HD-DVDs hit the shelves in a year or so. Of course, that's just my opinion anyway...

7. MitchP

MitchP Extra

I still have one Sony commercial betamax deck in the clsoet. I also have 2 of the high end industrial Ed-Beta decks along with a Ed-Beta Video Camera. Gee these Ed-Beta decks and Camera sure cost a pretty penny back in the late 80's. Also the Ed-beta camera shot great outdoors footage but when it came to shooting in low light indoor situations. You really needed to light up the area.