What's new

BestBuy.com doctors images of RPTVs etc. (1 Viewer)

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
I just wanted to point this out in case no one figured it out yet. Also to point out to the newbies who are just getting in the market for RPTVs etc.
Check out this set on BestBuy.com...
Now, click the "larger Angle View" link to view a popup window of a picture of the set.
See what I mean? There is no way that this tv is really that thin, and you can almost tell where they doctored the image etc.
If these images are being provided to BestBuy then either way, someone is to blame. I think it is just bullsh** to be doing this. Of course when you goto the store you will see that it is much thicker..but what if you just ordered off the website not knowing. (i know, buyer beware, but still)
I apologize in advance if Im wrong and indeed that set is really that thin, but for some reason i dont think so.

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
23" is pretty thin....And that photo may not show the angled back for the mirror...

Besides, why would BB want to make the set look thinner than it really is?

-Ryan

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
i would think it would be because a common complaint is probably that the sets are too thick..especially when the unknowing consumer walks past the plasma sets when they are browsing the store.

But, a valid point was made about the Depth being specified in the description. But, still, the depth of that set is 23" was it, almost 2 feet. Much more that the maybe 6" that is presented in the picture.

AjayM

Screenwriter
Well, have you seen that set in person? How do you know where the depth is at on the TV? Maybe the angle of the picture they took doesn't show off that depth.
If you look at this http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=24&scat=1470 it shows the TV pretty much exactly how you would see it in person.
This one though is much worse, and is obviously just showing the front of the TV; http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=24&scat=1470 a 61" TV and they are only showing you the front piece of it.
And anybody who orders a "big" TV and doesn't look at the measurements, and then realizes he only has a small area to work with....well, they should be taken out back and shot....errr well, not that extreme, but seriously...is this really a big issue?
Andrew

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Both the RCA and Samsung sets you have pictured are deeper than shown in the picture. It is the angle that you are looking at them. The top of that Samsung is around 4" thick. The only part that is really deep is right near the bottom in the middle where the projection guns and mirror are located. You can't see the extra projection jutting out from the angle the shot is taken. Nothing is doctored in that shot.

Look at the Toshiba shot that was posted previously. Notice the back part is recessed a little from the sides. Well, the RCA and Samsung sets are not only recessed, but instead of going straight back like the Toshiba they also taper inward.

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Well - personally - who cares!!!! IF you buy a 47inch TV over the net without ever seeing it in person - well - you're just lazy.

I second AjayM. big deal!

Jerry Wright

Agent
If all else fails..........Read the dimension specs on the same page you're looking at. My Tosh 50H81 looks just like that picture from almost any angle in my living room, except when you stand directly alongside it to veiw the cabinet back.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
They've been doctoring the WEGA photos (both online, and in their ads) for years, such that they all look like widescreen TVs.

Caveat Emptor.

AjayM

Screenwriter
I find it far more ridiculous when they put a regular picture into the area where the screen would be. Now that can be misleading, especially in todays age of standard and HD televisions.

Andrew

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
as per the subject all I was really stating was that someone there..is doctoring images. period. it sucks..but Im sure most people probably didnt realize.

Sure, maybe not all of the pics are doctored, but that Samsung one surely was. It was obvious. I just consider it false advertising.

and surprisingly enough, im sure there are people that order big ticket items online without having ever seen them, i think they call it impulse shopping? and trust me, i unfortunatly know a few people who are dumb enough to

actually do something that silly.

----------------------

just wanted to point out this observation i saw on bestbuy.com didnt mean to upset anyone.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
The image is not "doctored", they just take the picture from an angle (hence the name "angle view", I guess...) where only the "front sides" of the TV show.

I'm surprised you haven't noticed this before, pretty much every manufacturer and retailer use this angle to show TV's. Go to Panasonic's or Toshiba's web sites for example and you'll see pictures like these.

I don't think it's a big deal, just read the specs.

/Mike

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
well, the image that I was specifically talking about was doctored. It was an angle shot, but you can tell that at that angle, you should still be able to see most of the back. and you can tell that the side of the set almost looks like a grey rectangle that someone drew with MS Paint (it doesnt match the front, seems, etc.)
I have included the image in question for reference:
11085863anA.jpg

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
anyway. this thread is going on and on, and seems a rather stupid argument.

maybe im wrong, but either way it still seems somewhat crooked*. (is that the correct spelling?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks