What's new

BestBuy - best HDTV in $1700 range...??? (1 Viewer)

Aaron F

Auditioning
I'm going to be using the 18 months plan (missed the 24 month!) so I need to get choose from what BestBuy carries.

I'm pretty set on a 16:9 set and narrowed it down to the Toshiba 50" (model 50h82/$1999) or the Panasonic 53" (model PT-53wx42/$1799). Are these decent tv's? Would I be better off going with antoher brand? They stock Samsung, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Panasonic, Sony...

Onecall has the 50h82 for $1799 and if that is the one I decide to go with I'll try and get BestBuy to pricematch Onecall...

Also, could someone forward me to any threads that deal with service contracts? BestBuy charges $299 for a 3 year service contract and that seemed sort of high...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Circuit City is even higher, I think around $399 for a 4 year EW.

It's doubtfull that Best Buy will pricematch Onecall (you have a better shot at Sears for price-matching).

Mike Huber

Agent
i bought the 50h82 from best buy for a price of 1,299. Great Tv. Im just running regular cable and the picture quality is great. DVD's look awesome also.

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
$1,299??? That's below Best Buy's cost I would assume. How'd you get it so low. I think it's running $1,999 right now.

Scott

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, $1300 for the Tosh 50H82 doesn't sound right at all. Even the 42H82 would be hard to find at that price. And at Best Buy no less (unless he's getting a serious employee discount).

Anyway, I thought the BB contract is 4 years for $300. That's what I got for my Panny 53" a couple months ago.

If you're going to buy the EW/service contract, make sure to get them to knock some more off the TV's price. There's definitely room for haggling when you buy the EW.

Also, you should try waiting until there's a sale on the TV you want. BB seems to run sales quite often--at least one week per month. Just check their website once per week (maybe Monday's) to see before going to the store. I bought my Panny 53" when they were on sale for $1700 plus their then promo offer of free leather recliner plus free delivery. I got them to knock off another $50 by getting the EW.

None of the big chains will pricematch online dealers anymore although you might find an exception here and there. I tried using OneCall w/out success at BB, CC and Sears in the NYC area.

For threads on EWs, just do a search for "extended warranty" in this forum section. You should find 2 or 3 threads from the last 2-1/2 months or so.

_Man_

PS: I forgot to comment on the TVs themselves. I suggest checking this thread for relevant comparison of their smaller siblings since they are pretty much the same except for the size differences.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=122371

Aaron F

Auditioning
Yeah... I'm going to try and get the Mitsubishi for $1799... it's marked 1999 but I figure if they can sell them for 1799 (10% off) during the 'customer appreciation' sales they have every few months that they can go 10% off for this. I hope :)

It's hard to price match BestBuy and Circuit City since they basicly stock different brands and models (gee ... they didn't plan that one or anything).

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
I am a owner of an Samsung 16:9 42" model# hcm4215w and love'd it over the Toshiba 42" @ BestBuy. I did get mine at the 0% apr for 24 months so that was cool :emoji_thumbsup:

Good luck on what you get. Do lots of research,,,, I am sure you will find what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks