BestBuy $199 15" LCD flat panel, any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todbnla, Dec 26, 2002.

1. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Best Buy has a 15" LCD Flatpanel for $289 minus a $90 rebate which makes this $199. They are sold out as of now, anyone know anything about these? Is this price something we will see on more lcd flat panels in the near future?
    PLMK
    http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=497&scat=501

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Prices on those have really been dropping. A friend bought a $350 one from Sam's Club about a year ago and it is pretty decent. I don't know if I'd use it as a main monitor with critical production or anything, but I sure want to get one as a second monitor for palettes and that kind of stuff.

3. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Not sure what that brand is like. You might try a google search. If all you want is a basic display, it probably can't be too bad. Just don't expect to be able to play games with a lot of action in them (racing, etc...). The screen will probably not be able to keep up with the drawing of the background and it will look blurred (but this is true with all but the more expensive lcds). If you can see one in the store which is hooked up to a pc you can use, one test I do is open up paint.exe in windows. (or even just word or notepad). You just want to see a white window so you can see how clear the white is, if color quality is important to you. Some lcds look more bluish tint while others are somewhat pink, it's just what looks good to you. At least it has a 3 yr warranty!

I tend to like Viewsonic but you will pay at least a $100 more. Samsung is a little cheaper than viewsonic. Check the ads for prices with rebates. You can get the va520 for $289 after rebate and 15% off coupon from officedepot.com (see the deal page).

Prices are definitely going down. I see the vx900 for $772 now at newegg when it used to go for $900 a few months ago, it seems to go down every couple weeks. Not sure how much lower the 15" will go. The va520 equivalent was around $500 last year.

4. Ralph Robinson

Ralph Robinson Auditioning

Monitor is / was a brand called Kogi. Had a pretty decent display.

I bought a Mag Innovision there. 17", built in speakers I don't use. Price was $438, and a $50 rebate.

They had a Viewsonic beside the Mag that was about $100 to $150 more. Had a lower contrast ratio 350 to 1, Mag 400 to1, and did not look as sharp.

I coworker bought the Medion that Aldis had for $399, and that has an even higher contrast ratio, 500 to 1. His family is very pleased with it.

I find with the LCD monitors, that to get the best sharpest display, you have to run the monitor in it's top resoloution.

I have played Links 2003 on this, and it is excellent!

I will load Rogue Spear up and see what that looks like tomorrow.

As a side note, I bought the Medion PC from Aldis before he got the monitor. Nice machine.

5. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Like Ralph said, you have to use the monitors native resolution for best picture. A lot of times, Best Buy and others all have the monitors on the same PC or demo system and have 15" and 17" attached to the same and they will set the video display to what the 15" use and the 17" then look like garbage. I have vg150 and it has a great picture.

6. Frank Cheh

Frank Cheh Extra

I picked up two before Christmas and have one on BO. Looks good for general use and pictures. This is not a big bucks high res display, but for under 200.00 who cares.

7. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    SOLD OUT! [​IMG]

8. Alex Morrow

Alex Morrow Stunt Coordinator

I picked up one of the MAG 15" displays two weeks ago for $220 after a $100 rebate at the time. For that price I couldn't resist, even though I already have 2 20" sony monitors. But this one will be for a spare computer. Speaking of which, at Best Buy they claim that it's wall mountable. Does anyone know of a good wall mounting kit for it?

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Alex check to see if it is VESA compliant for wall mounting (which is pretty much the standard).
    For wall mouting arms go here and click specifications down below.
    I plan on using one of these myself for my HTPC. Something like this to mount it on the wall or a coffee table, then pull it out to my lap while I'm sitting on my sofa. Oh that's gonna be sweeet!! [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Frank Laudicina

I did notice that this monitor has a 3 year parts & labor warranty. Not bad! Now if they had one with a platinum finish instead of black I might buy in.

Frank