What's new

Best Zulu dvd? (1 Viewer)

Mike Coady

Agent
I know this was discussed awhile back, but what the best version now available and where can I by it? Thanks!

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The one that was released about 2 months ago in R2 (I don't know if it got a R1 release - I *think* it did but the usual R1-R2 comparison site I use is playing up at the moment). Easily identified by the fact it's the only one with a commentary track.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Definately go with the R2 if you're multi-regional with Pal to NTSC. All R1 versions are from budget companies & pale in comparison to this R2 release.

Mike Coady

Agent
Okay to be clear on this, I need to get a "Region 2" release, this is not available in a "Region 1"? And this will mean I will need both a region free player plus one that does PAL to NTSC conversion? Is that correct?

Also where could I order this?

Is this version Anamorphic?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
There were R1 versions available recently, but they're crappy IMHO. The R2 Pal version I own is wonderful. I bought my multi-region with PAL-to-NTSC DVD player from JVB Digital. I bought a JVC model, which is one of only two brands that will covert Widescreen PAL properly.

Mike Coady

Agent
My son already has a region free player that does the PAL to NTSC conversion, while my player only does the region free thing. I just wanted to make sure you needed a player that did the PAL to NTSC conversion to play the disc.

Is this dvd in anamorphic widescreen? Where can I buy this Zulu dvd? And, how can I tell I am buying the right version?

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I hope that if and when MGM do the legitimate Region 1 release that the soundtrack will be discrete stereo (4.0?)unlike the PAL version which is a 2.0 mix from the discrete stereo mix. Worth getting for the picture though, I wish "The Big Country" looked this good (both photographed in Technirama).

Mike Coady

Agent
Thanks Guys! I found what seems to be the version I am looking for at Amazon.co.uk, but it has a different cover than the one Jeff listed, can anyone explain this?

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
If you are "codefree", you might consider the R4 version of Zulu. It is on the Paramount label and I understand of the same quality as the R2 version. At www.ezydvd.com.au it is somewhat less expensive than the R2 version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks