What's new

Best Zulu DVD MGM's Region 1 versus prior releases? (1 Viewer)

Mike Coady

Agent
With Zulu about to be rereleased and the available information that we currently know, can anyone tell me if the new MGM version is the same (or as good)as the Paramount Region 2 release? Or are we going to have to wait until it's released and someone will have to compare them? I've been waiting to buy this for a long time.

Mike

Maurice McCone

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

this is my fav movie of all time (I have just come back from visiting the site of the battle, Rorkes Drift). I have the new reg2 version and it does appear to have a few extras that the rather basic reg 1 is missing.

The reg 2 has additional commentary track from one of the production crew and an historian which is really enlightening even if you have read everything about this film already. There is also an excellent documentary which interviews most of the surviving cast (except Mr Caine).

The sound DD2.0, appears to be the same, the reg2 video quality is also very good for the age of this film and probably the best we can hope for.

The reg 1 is certainly cheaper, but in this case cheaper really means 'cheap'. Buy the reg 2 if you can.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have the Region 4 release which is the same as the Region 2 and it's much better than the Roan dvd. Next week, I'll have the MGM release too and I'm going to do a comparison between the Region 4 and MGM release. Afterwards, I'll probably give one of the dvds to my brother since it's silly to have three different dvd releases of the same film.

Mike Coady

Agent
Thanks for replying guys!

Maurice, it sounds like you do get some extras with the R2 and R4 versions, strange MGM didn't do more. Anyway, I'll have to decide if the added expense and the R2's limitations (not being able to play on any dvd player)are worth it.

Robert, I will look forward to your comparisons.

Mike

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

Looking forward to your comparisons as well. I've had this film on my wishlist forever and if the new version is good, I'll buy it.

Bruce

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
the R1 is FANTASTIC!

the picture that is. no complaints from me. sound is fine. now I get to see John Barry's music!

enjoy without hesitation :emoji_thumbsup:

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I have now seen the MGM R1 release. The picture quality is very good. Detail is outstanding. The sound seems to have a lot of noise reduction applied, but is otherwise fine.

If I had to nit-pick a little, the reds seem ever so slightly tilted towards orange, but not so much that it was a problem, or even all that noticeable. In any case, it is a quantum improvement over any other video release I have seen of this film. The fact that it can be had for under $10 retail makes it a no-brainer unless you are looking for extras. The release in the UK has a commentary and two substantive featurettes in addition to the trailer included on the R1 release.

Regards,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
From what I've sampled so far today, it looks like the Region 1 release from MGM has the better picture. However, the Region 4 has the edge in sound with a greater advantage in extras. I'll report back later, once I spend a little more time sampling both dvds.

Okay, after watching the entire dvd I prefer the video transfer of MGM's Region 1 release over the Region 4 release. However, the audio on the Region 4 was better and the extras on that dvd were great. I'm going to keep both of these releases and give my Roan dvd to my brother since he's not as critical in viewing dvds as yours truly.:)

Crawdaddy

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I've been waiting for this film. Pitty the R1 MGM version is mono (from what I understand the R2 has a true stereo soundtrack from the source stereo mix) but if it's 16x9 and a good picture and good sound otherwise, then I might go ahead and bite.

Surprised not more has been said about the MGM version. There was a thread a while back about Zulu that went on and on and *on* waiting for the MGM version to come out and then now hardly anything to say.

Would love for DVDbeaver to do a comparison. I thought that they had but I just checked and couldn't find it listed.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
This title has been out for a while now, and I haven't seen anyones comments on it, so here are mine. This is by far the best that Zulu has ever looked. Besides being anamorphic(all previous versions released have not been) it has what seems lile a restored print. When I first put the disc in i went to a random chapter just to see what the quality was like, and I was amazed by the quality. The colors are much more vibrant. Gone are the grain, scratches, noice, and other problems that plagued so many other versions. The uniforms of the British soldiers stuck out the most for me, with a vibrant red color. The cinematograpy (this film was tailor made for widescreen) looks much more stunning and includes a great level of detail that enhances the landscape.

The sound is still mono, but seems to have been cleaned up some. Thier are no pops or crackles, and it seems to benfit dialogue and music rather than the sound effects, which still sound good nonetheless. A stereo track would have been great to enhance John Barry's score, but it still has a good track for being mono. The only extra is a trailer. I hear that the Region 2 has a stereo track and a nice assortment of extras as well.

Thats about all I have to say right now about this release. After viewing this film on TV and a few horrid DVD copies over the years, this new release is much welcomed. If anyone would like further details on the disc let me know, and I can send some pics comparing this release with the old nonanamorpihc one. If anyone knows how I can post pics on here to show a comparison, that would be great. Thats all for now..........

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Both the region 1 MGM and region 2 Paramount transfer are among the best large-format-film transfers on DVD. I have the region 2 and I was blown away at how good the transfer was when I first popped the disc in! Great stuff! :emoji_thumbsup:

PS: The commentary on the region 2 edition is well worth a listen - very informative.

Gordy

John Stockton

Second Unit
According to IMDB, it seems that this film was photographed in large format Super Technirama 70, hence, it originated in 35 horizontal like Spartacus. The original 70MM theatrical prints therefore should have had an aspect ratio of 2.21:1 . On the back of the DVD it states that the ratio is 2.35:1 .

1)Is that a misprint, or was the source used for the R1 DVD, 35MM??

2)If the film did have 70MM engagements then there should be a Multichannel soundtrack available out there. Why is the sound on the DVD mono??

I understand that the current DVD is available for a very low price. But I wanted to inquire about the issues above before picking it up.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks