Best Xbox Live for online beginner?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Flasshe, May 19, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Flasshe

Flasshe Agent

Hi guys,

I just bought an Xbox this weekend and I'm about to purchase the Xbox Live starter kit. I have never done any online gaming before and I was wondering what's a good Xbox Live game to get for a beginner such as myself? Like many on this forum, I'm not a hardcore gamer though I can hold my own from time to time. I'm not into sports or racing games much - just action/adventure. What's the easiest to learn the whole online gaming thing on? MechAssault? RTCW? Ghost Recon? Something else?

(Note: I'm coming from a PS2 world, though I haven't done any PS2 online gaming.)

Thanks! --Rog

2. Bryan_ZZ

Bryan_ZZ Stunt Coordinator

Roger,

Let me cast my vote for Return to Castle Wolfenstein. It has several fun gameplay modes and a good variety of maps. It makes the best use of the communicator with teammates also (IMO).

I would rank Ghost Recon second and the Sega sports games behind that.

Bryan

3. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I'd also cast a vote for Wolfenstein.

I'm a total newb too, but it's still fun. Plus, the HTF crew is loads of fun to play with.

4. Jerry Gracia

Jerry Gracia Supporting Actor

yeah, the above posters gave good advice.

Mech Assault can also be fun online as well.

5. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Well I would say there's a difference between "Most Fun" and "Easiest for a Beginner". Right now I would agree that Wolfenstein is the most fun game to play online, but it also has the steepest learning curve. I've been playing since it came out and I still don't know what the heck to do on just about half the maps. On some you have to blow up coffins, steal some gold, and return it to a specific place, another you have to steal war documents and make your way to a transmitter room, and still others have you capturing flags all over the map. It can be difficult for a new person to learn where all of the objectives are on each of the maps. For straight-up ease of play, I would say Ghost Recon is a lot less complex. Basically if you see someone and he's not wearing the same uniform as you, shoot him!

Now, having said that I still think that Wolfe is more fun. If you play with decent people who can show you around the maps for the first few times it doesn't take long to come up to speed. The HTF folks are really good at that. I just wanted to caution you that it's a little trickier to pick up for a new person because of the many maps and varied objectives.

MechAssault is also quick to pick up and a lot of fun. You can't really go wrong with any of those three. [​IMG]

6. Flasshe

Flasshe Agent

Thanks for the advice. [​IMG] I went to my local Toys R Us, and they had a $20 off deal for selected Xbox Live games when you purchase the starter kit. MechAssault and GR were on the list but RTCW wasn't. [​IMG] I choose MechAssault, since I have a thing for giant robots. I will probably pick up GR eventually too if I get into the online thing. Best Buy has RTCW on sale for $40 this week, so I think I'll head on down there later and pick that up.

Now to see if I can get it all working...

I look forward to seeing you all online!

--Rog

7. Dave Falasco

Good luck, Roger, and let us know if you need any help!

8. David Scott

David Scott Stunt Coordinator

I think MechAssault was the right choice. It has the least amount of lag problems and is easy to learn/fun. RTCW and Ghost Recon are great games, but take a lot more time to learn how to play. MechAssault is pretty much run around and shoot and look at the pretty explosions. I should also add if you have a good sound system then Mechassault rocks.

9. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I think RTCW would be a good choice. You may get shot up a bit, but there are also plenty of other noobs since the game just came out. You can also fly around the maps without playing, so it's not as hard to figure out what to do as others make it out to be. Just follow someone who looks like he knows what he's doing, and you'll figure it out within a few minutes.

The main downsides are that it can be tough to find a good game with no lag, and some maps seem played out. Almost every big game is played on Beach Invasion or Depot, whereas other maps like Keep, Castle, Base, Assault, and Village are underused. On the plus side, all of the maps except Sub are incredible and perfectly designed. It seems like a lot of time was spent making sure that all of the prime sniping spots were still vulnerable to attack, so camping is risky as it should be.

10. Dave Falasco

11. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Tetris will probably be the easiest

12. Flasshe

Flasshe Agent

Thanks again for the info. I successfully got online last night through my DSL. The hardest part was figuring out that I had to scratch the hologram sticker off the starter kit CD holder to get the Subscription Code. That drove me batty. I played a game of Whacked! and got soundly thrashed by some kids. I haven't tried online MechAssault yet, though I did do a little single player and it looks like fun. Love those explosions. By the time I downloaded all the available MA content, it was past my bedtime (as if video gamers have bedtimes).

I need to look into wireless networking, since moving the modem/router around from the computer room to the HDTV room is going to be a real pain.

I played a little bit of the RTCW demo on the Xbox Magazine disc and continually got creamed pretty quickly. Obviously I'm going to have to do some single player practicing after I buy the full version and before I go online with it.

--Rog

Gamertag: CortexTheKiller

13. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Rog, speaking as someone who has played RTCW (the PC version... I'm still saving up for a wireless bridge for my XBOX) the demo is rather hard. ESPECIALLY the factory level. Not the best demo level for a newbie.

The multi-player game on RTCW is quite different from the single player experience. Especially if you are playing with a good team that actually knows what the word "team" means. [​IMG]

Meantime, I hope to join y'all online sometime in the near future. I've got the wireless router, and a PC-card for my laptop (which just rocks) but haven't gotten the bridge for the 'box yet. Soon... [​IMG]

14. JayV

JayV Supporting Actor

15. Flasshe

Flasshe Agent

Okay, you convinced me - I went out and bought RTCW. Now to get some practice with it and MechAssault, and then... Go Live!

--Rog

16. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Enjoy Roger!

...now if I can just get that wireless bridge past my wife... [​IMG]

17. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

18. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

They have powerline and phoneline routers now that use your existing home wiring. I use the powerline system by Siemens and it works well. I had originally bought a wireless Linksys Router and Wireless Ethernet but it would not reach all the way down to my home theater. The powerline will work anywhere in the house where you have an outlet and I understand the phoneline system works well also.

Brian