What's new

Best/Worst online camera retailers? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Holadem,

The two BEST B&M retailers in NYC are J&R and B&H

I don't think they pricematch, but their prices are pretty
comperable to everyone else who is a legitimate retailer.

I'd definately go mailorder if you are outside NY in order to
save taxes.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I have to agree, the B&H shop in New York is fantastic.

When I was visiting NY a few years back, I promised myself that I would not go to B&H because I did not want to spend money. I deliberately didn't find out where it was.

Well, we went up the Empire State Building, and lo and behold the back of the ticket was a coupon for 10% off at B&H, "just two blocks away".

I broke down and went there. It was great. Someone asked if they could help me find something. I knew if they had what I asked for I'd probably buy it, so I asked for the then-new SMCP-67 75mm f2.8AL for Pentax 67, which as far as I knew was only available in Japan at the time.

Of course, they had it. I went from spending no money to spending $750 (minus 10%, of course).

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I ordered my Sony H1 from Abe's of Maine a little over a year ago. I won't go into too much detail, but as usual they emailed me saying that I need to call to verify my 3 digit security code on the CC (I know for sure I entered it and entered it correctly on the order form).

I called and the guy immediately tries selling me options. I just kept saying no to every offer. I told him that I already have a case, memory stick, rechargables and wasn't interested in anything else. He then went on to tell me that my warranty is void if I don't buy a UV filter! What a liar.

I left a poor review at Pricegrabber, which they apparently check often. I received a call a little over a week later. A lady asked why I was unhappy, so I explained to her why. I was honest. She apologized and said if I change my review she'll send me a complimentary gift for the cam.

Long story short I changed my review (explained what happened in detail in the review... didn't say they were flawless or anything) and received a 3 piece filter kit a few days later.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Let this be known because it is the thing legends are made of....

Abe's of Maine is one of the biggest rip-off mail-order places
on the Internet. Their prices are always "too good to be true"
and there is a reason why it is.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I won't argue that, Ronald. I've never been 'had,' but I've been close enough to feeling like I may get the shaft that I'm now willing to pay more and know I'm getting the product and the service.

Luke_Y

Second Unit
I ordered a point & shoot from BuyDig.com once and they sent me 2 cameras, the one I ordered and the model under it. Didn't charge me for the second one, but after 5 phone calls and several e-mails I still couldn't get them to take it back. Weird...

We buy from Beach and Abes at work sometimes, but only by purchase order and only via phone. Never had a problem that I know of, and always get a better price by phone.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Ron is right, Abe's and Beach will both get away with whatever they can. The fact they offered a bribe to change negative feedback only makes it worse. They have both been pulling whatever they can for decades. I know of this personally dating back to the 70s.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
I like J&R as well I just picked up my new Canon A620 from them for 219.99 plus 5 bucks shipping. This happened to be the lowest price around the net currently for one that wasnt refurbed. Most likely I will order from them again.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I've ordered a number of times from J&R. Their posted pricing isn't always the best but they will price match and often will give you a better price if you just ask. If they don't, I hang up and call again and talk with a different sales person. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. The are very reputable though. I had to return a defective camera once and it was no problem at all.

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
I'd have to say some of your approved places to buy scare me to death Paul.

I'd stick with BHPhoto.com Bergerbrothers.com Robertsimaging.com jandr.com will probably be ok, adorama if you must (not my fav)

Be careful of the New Jersey, NY photo "mafia" as I call them. Many many fly by night operations operating under several store"fronts", and I use the name store liberally. Also beware of ebay sellers with cheapest prices, grey market goods prevail, and US warranties may not be honored.

www.Nikonguide.com is a place I started to help with the Nikon end of questions like this. It's free of commercial interests, no ads or anything. I personally came real close to getting burned by a now X ebay outfit out of NJ. they went by einstein.com or einsteinphoto.com I forget. They are out, probably operating under a new name now.

DougEW

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug White
I ended up going with Dell for 30D. They had everyone beat by about $100 and free shipping. I live in Texas so I had it shipped to my parents house in Louisiana to avoid sales tax. Even though it showed on backorder it arrived at my folks home in about 5 days. Love the camera even though I know it is over kill for me.

You can also watch ebay for lenses. I got my 17-85IS lens from a guy that claimed he had only used it a month or 2 and then bought the 5D so he no longer needed the lens. Looked in perfect condition when I received it. Ebay is also a great place to pick up an extra battery for your camera if it doesn't use the normal alkaline ones.

BrianTwig

Second Unit
I may have missed it, but did anyone mention Butterflyphoto.com?

Good to purchase from or avoid?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks