Best/Worst Directors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Sch, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Hi, I just wanna take a little informal poll to see who everyone thinks is the best and/or worst director in terms of revisiting films for DVD's. List as many as you want. I would to say my best are David Fincher for Fight Club and Se7en (which, oddly enough, I've never seen, even though I like Fincher, Pitt and Freeman). Then maybe Jay Mohr for AP1&2 and Meet The Parents and Francis Ford Coppola for The Godfather Collection and Tucker, although Apocolypse Now needs a definative edition. In terms of worst, although it pains me to say it because I absolutely love the man as an actor, I'd have to say Clint Eastwood. I mean, he's been totally unwilling to revisit anything, and it's a real shame. Okay I'm done now, look forward to your responses.

2. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

Yes Fincher is the best DVD director.

And I believe you meant to say "Jay Roach" and not "Jay Mohr."

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Tim Burton probably is the best.

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Sleepy Hollow, Planet of the Apes, and Edward Scissorhands all had participation from Burton. I think the upcoming Ed Wood DVD will probably have a Burton commentary as will Batman/Batman Returns when the SE's for those come out.

The worst probably is Woody Allen. All of his movies are on DVD with just a trailer each. (I think a few movies he directed might not be on DVD yet, though.)

Not really bad...his movies are fine by themselves.

4. andreasingo

andreasingo Stunt Coordinator

When talking about extras on dvd I would put John Carpenter and James Cameron pretty high up on my list. "The Thing" dvd was incredible, "The Abyss - special edition" and "T2 - Ultimate Edition" are also among the best dvd's ever produced.

5. Carol Razavi

Carol Razavi Stunt Coordinator

Although he should really get around to making a SE for Traffic, I think Soderbergh is really good when it come to most of his dvds. I think The Underneath should get some sort of new treatment, especially with his Oscar now, and maybe a bit more for Erin Brockovich (I would love a commentary by the real Brockovich!) But his CE for Out of Sight was excellent, and I loved his commentary on The Limey. Also, he did a commentary for Catch-22 which I thought was awesome, even if it wasn't his film. I can't wait for the Ocean's 11 dvd and hopefully around that time he'll get to Traffic, but he's still pretty busy right now.
    Other directors that I think are good, besides the ones metioned above are Wes Anderson for Rushmore. Can't wait for CC versions of Royal Tenenbaums and Bottle Rocket!
    Also Ridley Scott has made some excellent dics. I can't wait for the Blade Runner SE and hopefully Black Hawk Down will get a nice treatment. His Gladiator disc was great. I'm not really looking forward to a new 5 star edition of Aliens though, I just bought the collection, and now I'm afraid I'll have to buy it again [​IMG] . Can't wait for the Thelma & Louis SE either.
    And last but not least, I think Cameron Crowe deserves alot of credit for his Untitled cut dvd and his upcoming Say Anything... dvd. Hopefully Jerry Miguire gets a good SE treatment, and same goes for Vanilla Sky.
    I think Burton's discs are cool, but I wish he was a little more engaging in his commentaries. I think alot of ppl would agree that he's pretty boring when he does them. I did like the Pee Wee one though, maybe b/c Rueben's was there too. He shoyld come more prepared, or at least open up more. Actually... they should just get him and Pee Wee to do all the commentaries for all of his films, maybe get Elfmen in on it to. All three together, like it should be!

6. Michael Riesenbeck

Oliver Stone -- almost all of his films have received great treatment on DVD. Granted, some of the titles are direct ports from Laser, but at least he does enjoy sitting down to talk about his films.

7. Scott D S

Scott D S Supporting Actor

Scott Saslow
    Kevin Smith. As some of you may or may not know, he also logs on the net to keep his fans up to date on such matters.
    200th post! Woo-hoo! [​IMG]

8. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I'd go with Kevin Smith as the most DVD-friendly director. And how about Michael Bay? Folks may hate him, but the DVDs of his movies are pretty solid, and he's honest and compelling in his DVD interviews/commentaries. Once the 4-DVD Pearl Harbor hits the shelves, there'll be very deluxe DVDs of all his films.

Smith's still tops, though, just because ALL of his movies appear in packed SE DVDs. Fincher has the excellent Fight Club and Se7en discs to his credit, but The Game is still bare-bones, though a port of the Criterion LD would change that. Fincher loses points for his refusal to revisit Alien 3, however. A true DVD geek would give the fans what they want, but he's remained disinterested, apparently.

Also not mentioned: Paul Thomas Anderson. He loses points for the lack of Magnolia commentary, but he's still a big supporter. How about Brett Ratner, for that matter? All of his flicks - both Rush Hours and Family Man - are pretty good sets...

Tim Burton? Yeah, there are decent SEs for a number of his films, but almost all seem somewhat lackluster. At least the Apes commentary was interesting. Rob Reiner's participated in a lot of DVD SEs, but since his commentaries almost uniformly BITE, I definitely wouldn't include him on this list...

9. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

Terry Gilliam has done a number of commentaries and seems to love talking about his movies (Brazil and Twelve Monkeys in particular were very enjoyable). The "Making Of" documentary for Twelve Monkeys was fascinating and Gilliam seems to have no problems allowing people to see his creative process (warts and all).

10. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Woody Allen has actually resisted doing extra features for his films. I think he said he wants his films to speak for themselves.

That's fine by me...I enjoy them, extra features or not. I mean, what am I going to watch more?

And yes, Cameron Crowe deserves credit for taking an active interest in the DVDs of his films. Which reminds me, I still have to watch the commentary on Untitled...

11. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

My favorite directors for DVD's, among many many others, are P.T. Anderson, Cameron Crowe, Kevin Smith, Darren Aronofsky and Robert Rodrieguz.
    Re:

12. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Best- Oliver Stone

Worst- George Lucas and Steven Spielberg

13. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

14. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

About Woody Allen and DVD: The man has stated in an interview with Jonathan Valin for The Perfect Vision that he doesn't even look at DVDs. He was completely ignorant about the format's virtues. He is oblivious. Which explains why Annie Hall is still a letterbox-only transfer.

He is to be commended, however, for insisting on what just may have been the first-ever letterboxed presentation of a film on American commercial-network television--Manhattan, back in 1981.

15. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Kevin Smith has made great use of DVD. I find Robert Rodriguez to be very informative in the film making process and shares some great insight into the making of his films.
    Steven Soderbergh is my favorite director, and he has done some great commentaries. I just wish he did one for Traffic.
    As for worst in terms of DVD I would have to agree with Woody Allen.

16. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Best - James Cameron & Wolfgang Pieterson