best wireless system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Samonte, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

There r several brands available..of course to choose one with the advise of people who actually have used them is essential.

I'll be hooking up 1 laptop (hence 1 wireless PCcard), and using CAT5 , this old PC and a new box(which I'll seek advice on later).

2. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

I picked up a Speedstream 2623 wireless router and a Speedstream wireless PC card last week. So far I've been pretty happy with everything. Cnet and Zdnet gave it good reviews, if that matters to you. The reason I picked this model was because of the built in print server and the port for dial up modem capabilities in case my broadband connection goes down. Everything was a breeze to set up. I love being able to sit on the couch with my laptop while browsing the HTF [​IMG] Speedstream can be found here. Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

3. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

I'm not sure about this, but it sounds like you would want to use your older machine as the firewall/gateway.

of course a wireless hub/router could do all of this for you as well.

4. Jacques

Jacques Extra

Mark,

Is the print server in the Speedstream bi-directional? I ask, because I've read of problems in this area with similar models. Also, how exactly does this backup modem capability work? Is an external modem required?

Thanks.

5. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

Jacques,

I'm not sure if the printer port is bi-directional, the documentation does not say. In the doc it lists the port as "1 - parallel IEE 1284 (EPP/ECP) 25 pin dsub (DB-25) female." What type of problems have you read about on other models? I haven't experienced any printer problems yet, but I've only had the router for a little over a week.

There is no built in modem. Instead there is a serial port that an external modem can be connected to and configured using the browser interface of the router. If you did not have cable or DSL access you could still use good old fashioned dial up access with an external modem and use this router.

6. Jacques

Jacques Extra

Thanks for the info, Mark.
    I'd read that the D-link 713p and the SMC 7004AWBR, which appear to offer similar features as the Speedstream, could send print jobs to the server but had trouble reporting on the printer's status (such as whether it's out of paper, etc...). Also, I think there are/were issues about which printers were supported; some, I believe, just didn't work with the print server. Perhaps these issues have been addressed, I'm not completely certain. It is, however, nice to know that there's at least one other decent player in the game. [​IMG]

7. Brian Hepler

Brian Hepler Stunt Coordinator

I personally am using the SMC 7004AWBR with Orinoco PCMCIA cards. The combination is excellent. Hit www.practicallynetworked.com for some other suggestions.