What's new

Best widescreen under 43" in total width? (1 Viewer)

Steve_B

Auditioning
I am looking to replace a 36" Sony Wega XBR that I have had for a few years. I love the TV, but want a widescreen for watching DVD's. Anamorphic images look great on this set, it is just the letterboxed picture size that is a downer.

My budget is fairly open (up to the $5K range).

My only real restriction is that I need it to be less than 43" in total width and 30" in height. The TV will be going into a cabinet so depth is not a real issue.

Since Depth is not an issue for me, is plasma a waste? What is the best type of TV for this application? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

David Head

Second Unit
My fiance and I recently purchased a 42" HDTV and had similar questions. We have an entertainment center that we wanted to keep, so the TV we chose needed to fit in the cabinet. Here are the pros and cons I found with each technology:

CRT

Pros:
•Inexpensive
•Excellent picture quality in a proper environment (not too much light and ISF calibration).
•Best black levels of all RPTVs.

Cons:
•Deep cabinets (wasn't a problem for me)
•Not ideal for bright rooms
•Narrow viewing angle.
•Can suffer burn-in.

Plasma

Pros:

•Bright picture over a wide viewing angle—even in a brightly lit room.
•Slim design.

Cons:
•Expensive.
•Black levels look dark gray rather than true black.
•Has the potential for burn-in.

DLP

Pros:
•Best black levels other than CRT
•No danger of screen burn-in.
•Thinner cabinet - not as deep as CRT

Cons:
•DLP rear-projection TVs are more expensive than the same-size CRT sets.
•Single-chip DLP sets are prone to a "rainbow" effect.

LCD

Pros:
•Can deliver slightly better color than most DLP sets.
•Will create a brighter image than most DLP models.
•No danger of screen burn-in.
•Slim Design.

Cons:
•Has the biggest problem producing true blacks.
•Have a narrower viewing angle.
•Low-resolution LCDs can exhibit distinct pixelation and screen-door effects.

LCOS (liquid crystal on silicon)

Pros:
•Very high resolution and pixel spacing.
•Slim design

Con:
•Very expensive.
•Only available in large TVs (greater than 55")

We decided to get a CRT based RPTV and have it calibrated since it would give us the best image and be the least expensive. Mitsubishi had the only model greater than 40" that would fit in our entertainment center once I took the doors off and removed the TV stand. You can see the results here.

We had Greg Loewen of Lion AV calibrate the TV and couldn't be happier with the results.

David

BrianCC

Grip
Hey, neat idea with the speaker cloth, David. Looks nice!

Steve, what are you going to do with your old XBR? I've got the same one, and I'm looking to go HD widescreen, too. The resale value on the old set looks to be no more than $500 AT BEST! :frowning:

Steve_B

Auditioning
David, thank you very much for the information. I think you and I are in a very similar situation.

Which Mitsubishi model did you end up with, and if you don't mind me asking, roughly how much? Your setup looks fantastic by the way.

Brian, you asked what I am going to do with the XBR? I wish I knew. I too found resale value was in the same ballpark ($500ish). It seems a shame to sell such a great TV for that amount. Yet, the TV is so big (and HEAVY) that I don't know if it would work in another room. This is precisely why convincing my wife to go with a widescreen has been, er... Challenging!

David Head

Second Unit
Brian,

Thanks. I built a frame with 1x2 wood and ordered the speaker cloth to match the color of the entertainment center. It really makes the screen look like a plasma tv hanging there.

David

David Head

Second Unit
Steve,

I have the last year's model , a Mitsubishi WT-42311. I got it for $1300 with a 5 year warranty. The new model is a WT-42313 which adds a DVI connector and better stretch modes (from what I've heard). It's available at Best Buy (unlike last year's models, this year's models at Best Buy are the same ones that other Mitsubishi dealers carry). I've seen it advertized for $1400 and Best Buy regularly sends out 15% off coupons, so you should be able to get it for less than $1500 with an extended warranty. I recommend you get an extended warranty on whatever you purchase. One service call will pay for it...

David

BrianCC

Grip
I'm with you, Steve. We only have one room that justifies a 36" behemoth like the XBR, and that's where I want the new widescreen. I can't see trying to move that thing upstairs to a bedrooom!

My wife would LOVE a new widescreen, but we can't decide how to lay out the furniture. And moving the XBR around to try new layuts isn't an option, since it's so DAMN HEAVY!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks