Best Widescreen TV under $2000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Samson, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Samson

Samson Stunt Coordinator

I was looking at the Panasonic pt47wx49 and the price is reasonable at $1900. The Toshiba 40h80 is also reasonably priced but it is too small. The 56h80 is too big. Toshiba came out with 50h81 and looks like a good compromise as far as size is concerned. I've also heard people purchasing the 50h81 for $2000.
    Are there any other tv's that I should be considering in this price range ?

2. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Mitsubishi also makes a 46" widescreen. I'm not sure of the price but it should be in your range.

3. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I'm interested in this topic as well, though my price range is more toward $3k and under, but prefer to stay under $2500. I'm interested in knowing which is best in that price range - best quality, largest screen. Do RP HDTVs have the same trouble with picture quality that RP large screen 4:3's do? It seems that depending on the angle at which you view the monitor, the image washes out... anyone, anyone?
    ------------------
    Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
    Save Stargate SG-1 Season 6
    View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

4. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

The Dell deal on the LT150 projector should easily surpass any RPTV in this range....just food for thought!

5. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

If I had $1700 burning a hole in my pocket I would've jumped on that LT150 in a heartbeat. Alas, I do not.
    ------------------
    This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

6. Michael St. Clair

7. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

Michael, there is almost no pixel structure or screen door with DLP. Please don't mislead here...
    Rainbow is something else...in fact if you don't know about it, you probably will never notice it. I always suggest people go look at Runcos in stores, as they exhibit it bad if you are sensitive.
    I would certainly order a 3lb unit that is returnable vs. a 200lb unit that is unmovable and difficult to ship back....or course you could have a 92" diagonal to boot...
    Size is everything here...
    Keith

8. Marque D

Marque D Stunt Coordinator

Trywww.crazyeddie.com
    John, take a look at the Mits WS-55807.
    Also I know you are going to want to see some High Definition images right away so I would suggest considering a Dish 6000 HDTV Receiver. You can get one for under $300 atwww.allsat.com But scenes John lives in Raleigh-Durham, NC he can just go with Time Warner and enjoy WRAL-DT.

9. Robert Bergman

Robert Bergman Auditioning

RE: Projector
    I tried that link and couldnt find anything.
    As far as comparisons go, lets not forget how much a good HTPC costs for scaling etc.
    At least 1200 more to that price PLUS the screen. Apples to apples. Now your looking at what? 1750+1200+350= 3300 vs. 2k?
    Correct me if I'm wrong here but share the numbers on cost when giving projectors as a comparison so we can all understand what the real costs are.
    Thanks!

10. Michael St. Clair

quote: Michael, there is almost no pixel structure or screen door with DLP. Please don't mislead here...
    [/quote]
    Well, I see it. Not trying to mislead. Other people see it too; just search Deja for 'dlp pixel structure'. People see it in theatrical DLP installations, which are a hell of a lot better than a single-chip HT projector!
    quote: Rainbow is something else...in fact if you don't know about it, you probably will never notice it. I always suggest people go look at Runcos in stores, as they exhibit it bad if you are sensitive.
    [/quote]
    Well, I've seen many different DLP projectors (both data and HT), and I've seen rainbow every single time. In fact, The first few times I saw it I had not even read about it on the internet, and didn't know it existed or what to call it!
    [Edited last by Michael St. Clair on July 24, 2001 at 11:16 PM]
    [Edited last by Michael St. Clair on July 24, 2001 at 11:18 PM]

11. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

I think the Toshiba 50H81 should be a good way to go...
    ------------------

12. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

Re: Projector
    Many at AVS do not run an HTPC with the LT150. Grant Smythe, who is the guru regarding the LT150 uses both an RP91 and HTPC. The HTPC has a better picture, but he thinks the RP91 is so good, the HTPC is not a must. I would email him, and he could better explain to you the differences.
    I do agree that scaling anything to it's native resolution is a good idea and I would. However, you can add this later as you get into fp world.
    Cost of a Da Lite pull down hi power screen is 250-300 bucks.
    Total cost therefore is 2k (dvd player needed in both cases, rptv and fp). Of course now, I think the dell deal is over....
    Michael,
    Ok, now I see where you are coming from. Screen door and pixelization are different to me. Screen door as I see it has to do with the size of the pixels, where pixelization has to due with #s.
    It really shouldn't matter, as if you have the proper seating distance (1.5-2x screen height for 16:9 screens), you shouldn't see much pixelization at all---especially not on an XGA machine like the LT150. It is just like being too close to an RPTV and seeing scan lines, right???
    What you will see is a much more immersive cinema experience than a 47" rptv would. Hands down. For the cost, why wouldn't you at least try it?? Dell has a return policy.
    BTW, this pj is really strictly for HDTV and DVD...NTSC on any big screen looks like crap. There is only so much one can do with 240 lines of already crappy resolution.

13. James_T

James_T Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased an LT150, and am running it without a HTPC. I am using an IScan Pro line doubler from my non-progressive scan DVD player, and the picture is absolutely fantastic. I'm watching a 70 inch wide image from about 9 feet away, with no noticeable pixel structure, and I've yet to notice a rainbow (I guess I'm not sensitive to them). You just can't get that kind of image with a RPTV. I agree with Grant that you should at least give it a try, and if you have the space you can produce an even larger image.
    I am even enjoying watching cable TV on the projector, even if it is a bit grainy. And all of this viewing pleasure has been done so far on a $10 piece of curtain lining! I ordered a Dalite 39 x 70 16:9 screen which should arrive late next week or the week after. Cost on this pull-down screen was only $160, and that price was higher since it is a smaller 16:9 screen than they usually make, and thus had to be specially made.
    As for the Dell deal, I believe you can still get the projector for $2100 shipped, which is a remarkable deal given that people were excited not long ago when the price on it dropped to $3300. I think most people just pass off front projectors because they've heard bad things or don't know much about them. It's a shame because for the HT experience I don't think there is a better purchase one can make. I understand that some people see rainbows and can't stand them, but certainly not everyone does (I don't see them at all).
    For $2100 you can get the projector, $150 for a screen (more if you want a better screen, less if you DIY), you can get a cheaper IScan line doubler for $300, or a progressive scan DVD player (I believe the RP91 is only $500). Total cost would be well within your price range. I think the only real concerns are if you are sensitive to rainbows (which you could test by buying the projector and projecting it onto a wall, or seeing if anyone local could give you a demo), and one other big concern: do you have control of ambient light in the room? You'll want to block out as much light as possible with a front projector. As for washing out of the picture from a wider viewing angle, FPTVs are much better with this (and thus wash out less) than RPTVs. So all the more reason. [​IMG]