Best Widescreen TV for Digital Sattelite

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher~O, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Christopher~O

Christopher~O Stunt Coordinator

Last month I took a Hitachi's top-of-the-line 57" widescreen home. I was able to get a stunning picture from DVD, but could not for the life of me get a decent picture from my digital sattelite sources (DTV, Dish & BEV). I don't have cable.

These are standard digital sattelite recivers (not enough channels to make the HDTV jump) with SVHS video outs. No matter how much tinkering I did, the picture was pixelated and not sharp at all. The company that sold me the TV (Bestway in Calgary) sent out a tech who also was unable to improve the picture.

To the store's credit, they took the TV back with a full refund (they even took the 2 X $75 hit to have it delivered and then returned), but now I am back to my 36" JVC D-Series tube.

Am I stuck with tube until HDTV becomes standard or is there a Widescreen out there that can do justice to DSS??

Thank you,
    Chris

2. Matthew_F

Matthew_F Stunt Coordinator

I think you could of called an ISF professional to calibrate the set.

Question. You said you have the top of the line series.. is it the TWX or XWX? If not which one is it?

3. Christopher~O

UWX.

An ISF professional was not suggested by the vendor, and I have not heard of them, so they took it back....

4. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator

Wow this account still works. [​IMG]
    Chris,
    My, things have changed since I've been away. I remember a time when DirecTV was not legally available in Canada. [​IMG]
    DirecTV optimizes their picture/compression for their typical customer, which has a 27" to 36" television. When this signal is blown up to 50" or larger, it is not going to look as good (and may look bad to you). That's more the fault of the DirecTV signal than the television. Obviously, when blown up on a larger set, compression artifacts become much more obvious and distracting. Of course, some sets do better with a highly compressed, lower resolution signal than others, but DirecTV is not going to look great (relatively speaking) on any large display.

5. Ken Ingram

Ken Ingram Stunt Coordinator

So Does Digital Cable look better on HDTV Sets than Directv
    Or Dish Network?

6. Christopher~O

From what I remember Digital Cable (at least Shaw) is of even lower quality of digital sattelite.

Thanks for everyone's replies!

7. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator

Ken I,

As for Dish Network and DirecTV, the HDTV is of comparable quality (no difference I can tell). On most standard channels (there are exceptions), DirecTV has better quality than Dish Network. Last year, DirecTV went through a period where their picture quality was pretty bad, but some months ago, they used the bandwidth regained by off-loading locals [to a new spotbeam satellite] to improve picture quality. Dish Network could do the same, but they have not done so yet.

As for digital cable, that depends on your particular cable network. The quality of digital cable varies widely by cable company and location. Some digital cable networks look better than DirecTV. Many look worse. Some look much worse.

8. Ken_F

Ken_F Stunt Coordinator

As an aside, there are several more HDTV channels coming in the very near future. HDnet will launch three new HDTV channels next month (one dedicated to sports, one to movies...). These will be carried by the cable companies in the larger markets, and will most likely end up on DirecTV and Dish Network at some point. Disney has announced that ESPN HDTV is coming in April--and I have no doubt this will be carried by DirecTV and Dish.

9. Christopher~O

Bump - anyone using DTV with a smaller (

10. Jeff Pounds

Jeff Pounds Second Unit

A lot of it seems to depend on the specific channels as well.

I just got the 53" 16:9 Panasonic last weekend -- I have DISH Network, and here is what I have noticed:

Most good "cable" channels, like HBO, USA, TNT, Lifetime, MTV, etc., looks pretty decent with few compression artifacts. HBO actually looks REALLY good -- almost as good as a non-anamorphic DVD.

Broadcast channels, like my local network affiliates vary widely from decent to pretty bad to nearly unwatchable.

One thing that I noticed really helped was to enable a lot of the things that you would DISABLE for DVD watching -- like SVM, video noise reduction, etc.

11. Matthew_F

deleted double post

12. Matthew_F

Hi Chris,

Since you said UWX, it's not the top of the line model since it's their low-end line. Only the XWX/TWX are the two top of the line models and are part of Hitachi's Specialty line, which also includes the GWX but XWX/TWX being the top. They differ than the UWX because it has a better video processor and focus + the very nice sheild they have.

ISF professionals are certified professionals who know to calibrate TVs and video sources. I know one in Richmond and he told me a lot of stuff about the TVs.

I guess you may consider getting the right series TV so you can have the top of the line set