Best widescreen HDTV under $2000?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Longcor, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Well I'm in the market for a TV by the end of the summer, and I definitely want a widescreen HDTV. I won't do much TV watching on it, mostly just DVD and widescreen vid game playing. So here are some models I was looking at:

Panasonic 47" PT-47WX49

Samsung 47" HCL4715W

Toshiba 42" 42H81

The squeeze:

Sony 32" KV-32HS20

Toshiba 36" 36JF71

All of these can be found at Best Buy for $2000 or under, and I'm sure much cheaper online. Does anyone have any of these sets? I'm trying to stay away from the squeeze TV's, but they have the advantage of not having those stands on them and I can watch some normal TV if the urge hits me. They are also cheaper than the other ones. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Tan_N

Tan_N Stunt Coordinator

Allen,

Most of the HDTV sets are really good.. it really depends upon what type of picture you are looking for.

Sony has a very "soft" picture. it's kinda like looking at a glamore shots photo. Wrinkles on faces are smoothed out and every thing seems to glow or blur. The picture is very pleasant to the eyes. but you lose sharpness and detail.

Mitsubitshi has a very sharp picture. Colors are bright and distinct. IMHO it has the best colors. Because it is very sharp and detailed it makes your eyes work.

Toshiba and Panasonic rides in the middle. But from what I've heard, Toshiba has a really good balance between the two. I personally have the Panasonic PT-51HX41 and I am extremely happy. I dont have any experence with Samsung.

If you like "soft" go with Sony, If you like "Sharp" go with Mit. Other wise go with the Cheepest set. They are all good.

3. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Thx for the input. Has anyone compared the picture between a set that does the squeeze and a widescreen tv? I'd like to know how much of a difference there is because if there is little to no difference that may be the best route to go. Damn, I really want a widescreen though. [​IMG]

4. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

One thing to consider is how much video game playing you plan on doing. Burn-in isn't that big of a worry on a rear-projection TV if the contrast is turned down, but it is still a worry.

Game playing aside, of the choices given I'd get the 47" Panasonic.

Is it just me, or do the Samsungs fall out of calibration quicker than other sets?