What's new

Best Westerns on DVD.,.... (1 Viewer)

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Aside from the upcoming Once Upon A Time In The West, does anyone have any major additions to the suggestions above?

I'd be interested to hear more suggestions based on transfers that have been well handled, especially details like picture quality & sound.

As was pointed out previously, Westerns have not received much in the way of restoration or special features on dvd. Does anyone expect this to change? Anyone have any info about any current studio efforts to work on re-releases of existing Western titles?

thanks!

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
A few more:

LITTLE BIG MAN a flawless transfer of a great movie

THE LIFE AND TIMES OF JUDGE ROY BEAN featuring a great comedic performance by Paul Newman

VERA CRUZ the transfer is only average, but it's a classic cynical western with a darkly funny performance by Burt Lancaster

Just in case you've got a region-free player:

ULZANA'S RAID-finally availble in it's opriginal aspect ratio in a great looking print, but it's only available in Australia.

FORT APACHE One of John Ford's best. Henry Fonda pulls off the incredible feat of making a basically unsympahtetic character very sympathetic. Available just about everywhere in the world but the USA (go figure).

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
Let's not forget Will Penny, The Jack Bull and the soon to be released Ballad of Little Joe.
Best
Greg

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Also THE PROFESSIONALS (1966) and VALDEZ IS COMING (1971), two excellent westerns on bare-bones dvd with very pleasing transfers.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
100% agree with everything here...said by Matthew.

THE GREAT SILENCE, available from Fantoma, is a must-buy. Beyond just being a great Eurowestern, it's a great Western, period, although be warned it is rather bleak. I also recommend COMPANEROS! from Anchor Bay (made by the same director, Sergio Corbucci) and the recent Blue Underground Spaghetti Western box set, which features excellent transfers of four quality Eurowesterns.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Can I give a quick mention for Walter Hill's Wild Bill? Jeff Bridges is superb in the title role.

Universal's Classic Westerns series recently featured a handful of excellent James Stewart westerns; Destry Rides Again, Winchester '73, Bend of The River and The Far Country being the pick of the bunch IMHO.

---
So many films, so little time...

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As was pointed out previously, Westerns have not received much in the way of restoration or special features on dvd. Does anyone expect this to change? Anyone have any info about any current studio efforts to work on re-releases of existing Western titles?
Peter Fonda's much-lauded The Hired Hand is up for pre-order in two flavours; a single disc 'cheapie' and a Criterion priced two-disc CE - has anyone got details, or a link to full details, of what look likes a superb western release?

---

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Peter Fonda's much-lauded The Hired Hand is up for pre-order in two flavours; a single disc 'cheapie' and a Criterion priced two-disc CE - has anyone got details, or a link to full details, of what look likes a superb western release?
John, this is the first time I am hearing this fantastic news!

The Hired Hand was making the rounds at some film festivals and I am sure this is a result of those recent efforts. I had the chance to see a screening with a Q&A with Fonda. He was just so pleased to see the film again which he directed. I am sure that will come across on the commentary (if the specs are to be believed on the pre-order info).

Great performances by Warren Oates,Verna Bloom & Fonda. Beautifully shot by Vilmos Zsigmund. Bruse Langhorne did the score.

The pace can be slow & drawn out, so your mileage my vary, depending on the types of films you enjoy.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Surprised no one's mentioned Lonesome Dove. I've heard the dvd isn't very good but it should at least be seen :)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The pace can be slow & drawn out, so your mileage my vary, depending on the types of films you enjoy.
Slow pace? Sounds like my kind of movie... ;)

Should make a decent companion piece to The Shooting too. BTW, recently watched Bad Company, also with Jeff Bridges, another western with a decent transfer I can recommend heartily.

As for Lonesome Dove, it's available as part of the Lonesome Dove Collection from deepdiscountdvd.com at a great price; they lost my first copy, and I eagerly await the replacement which was mailed last week.

---

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
1) Red Sun - While not a classic, this was a pretty good western. It takes place in the old west and starred Charles Bronson as a double-crossed outlaw and Toshiro Mifune as a Samurai warrior who join forces to retrieve a stolen ancient japanese sword that was meant to be a gift for the U.S. president. I haven't seen this in years, but I remember it was one of my favorite westerns growing up.

And for the kids:

2) Valley of Gwangi - Cowboys vs. Dinosaurs. Kids will love this. Another favorite of mine when I was a younger.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Who said Dances with Wolves is out of print?

The special edition arrived in May of 2003. It is definitely available.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
"Once Upon a Time in the West" (My Favorite) coming out in November -one of the all time great Westerns.

"Little Big Man" has an excellent transfer and a damn good film too, worth adding to any collection

"Butch Cassidy and the Sundace Kid" Looks pretty good also, plus has interesting extras.

"The Wild Bunch" is one of the earlier DVD transfers and could use a remaster, but the print is clean and it's worth a rental - one of the most adult westerns ever made.

"Unforgiven" Clint Eastwood's Western won the Best Picture Oscar. Excellent film.

Not a great film by any means, but one that's fun and has a great transfer: "MacKenna's Gold" The fine cast was given lame dialog and the film has it's share of plot holes, but it is different.

For some reason I've never liked "The Searchers" I've always prefered the Westerns made during the late 60's which were more violent and adult in nature. The earlier Westeners (John Ford, John Wayne) are a completely different sort of film.

Also worth checking out:

"MacCabe and Mrs. Miller" - this is a good film (Warren Beatty and Julie Christie directed by Robert Altman) But the DVD is not a very good transfer.

"Open Range"
If you want to see a really good Western on the Big Screen go see "Open Range" with Robert Duvall. It is one of Kevin Costnsers best films (Much better I feel than "Dances With Wolves" Which I didn't like.) It's doing very well at the Box Office (the first Conster Film to make a profit in some time - and only after the second week!)Possible one of the best gun fights ever filmed.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Open Range"
If you want to see a really good Western on the Big Screen go see "Open Range" with Robert Duvall. It is one of Kevin Costnsers best films (Much better I feel than "Dances With Wolves" Which I didn't like.) It's doing very well at the Box Office (the first Conster Film to make a profit in some time - and only after the second week!)Possible one of the best gun fights ever filmed.
Looking forward to it! :emoji_thumbsup:

---

DennisP

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a few of good westerns worth watching:

Monte Walsh (Tom Selleck version)
Crossfire Trail
El Diablo
Jeremaih Johnson
Last of the Dogman
Geronimo, An American Legend
Quick and the Dead (Sam Elliot)

And Finally.....When are they going to release "Rough Riders" on DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Here's ten to start with. All are great films with very good transfers:

The Searchers
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Rio Bravo
Unforgiven (2-disc SE)
The Wild Bunch (non-anamorphic flipper, but decent transfer and a great documentary)
Shane
Bend of the River
Destry Rides Again
3:10 to Yuma

Keep an eye out for the forthcoming "Once Upon a Time in the West". I haven't seen the DVD yet, but all signs point to an excellent release of a great epic western.

Other titles of note that either have so-so transfers or are due to be replaced in the near future include the Leone-Eastwood "dollars" trilogy, "The Man from Laramie", "Red River", "Stagecoach", and "High Noon".

One great title that I have yet to see on DVD, although it is available, is "The Professionals".

Probably the two best western comedies are "Blazing Saddles" and "Support Your Local Sheriff!"

Regards,

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Not a "classic" by any means, but one of the most underrated "westerns" in my collection is "Quigley Down Under". Tom Selleck is great and anything with Alan Rickman as a bad guy is a treat. I think I watch this one more than any other western I have.

Greg Black

Second Unit
While not a true Western, per se, I recently picked up The Misfits and was amazed at this film. Notable for being both Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe's final film. I was quite suprised at the performances, although I've never seen a film with either of them before. Great cinematography, fairly nice transfer, nice audio; you can't go wrong for $5.88 at Wal-Mart :)

I also have to recommend Rio Bravo as well, since it's my favorite Western.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks