What's new

Best way to wire up my Laserdisc player to a new HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
My current system is as follows:

Sharp 32 Cinema Series H1000
Pioneer Laserdisc Player CLD504

Right now because of convienence I have it wired up thru my receiver via composite also because my receiver doesn't do any Composite --> SVideo conversion.

Now with a new TV and new Receiver coming(one that does Video upconversion), I was thinking of wiring it up S-Vid to the receiver then feeding the component out to the TV therefore upconverting it.

Has anyone tried this or something similar?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Shane stick with composite output video no matter what. The player has a 2-line comb filter that creates it's S-video output. It's like a totally feeble filter in this day and age! You may, proably, will be better off to let your coming TV upconvert the signal? I'd hook it up both ways and compare. I'd engage the A-B repeat function and watch the same clip over and over to compare. I'd make sure there is a dark, dimly lit scene in your clip. Watch that scene closely for noise as it should be revealing.

Your question is which circuit upconverts your composite better reciever or TV's? I suspect it will be the TV...Best wishes!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
With a receiver that can cross feed its composite input to its component or S-video outputs, there is a third comb filter in the picture, that inside the receiver. It is used if you run composite from the VCR or LD player to the receiver, and S-video to the TV. Still, you want to use the best of the three. (Except for some really high end LD players, only one comb filter is actually used at any given time depending on how you hook up things.) There is a good chance the comb filter in the A/V receiver is equally feeble unless it is specifically advertised as being better. Three line adaptive (most 3 line digitals are that) is the minimal comb filter you should be using if possible.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidcomb.htm

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
I've seen many cases that S-Video is better on LD players when you are upconverting. But that is not always the case Sherlock!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks