Best Way to Wire HDMI TV with NON HDMI Reciever

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by cobratx, Aug 24, 2006.

1. cobratx

cobratx Auditioning

Hi All,

I have a new 50” LCD HDTV (1080i) with 2 HDMI inputs. My question is, what is the best way to wire the TV with a non HDMI receiver to get the best video and audio performance? I haven't bought the reciever and am shying away from the HDMI ones due to price.

Also, what is the best type of DVD to go with. I watch mostly rented DVD’s so my understanding is that HD DVD and BluRay DVD players won’t benefit me, is this true or is there another reason I should still consider one of these?

Thanks,
    Duane

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi Cobra - It's perfectly reasonable to wait until the HD DVD vs Blu-Ray war is settled before jumping in. For the time being, I would recommend purchasing a DVD player capable of upconverting over HDMI. Denon and Oppo both make excellent players.

Here's how I would cable your system. If you don't already own a Universal Remote, you may want to consider purchasing one such as a Logitech Harmony 880 [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. cobratx

cobratx Auditioning

Alon, thanks for the info. If I understand it correctly, hooking up per your schematic will require me to switch both the tv (for video) and receiver (for audio) when I switch between the DVD and cable box? I don’t see that as a problem as it seems easy enough but if I get the Universal Remote, can I program it to automatically do that. Also, aren’t the remotes that come with the TV’s and receivers now typically universal and hence eliminate the need for purchasing a separate remote.

Also, others have recommended hooking up everything through the receiver, since it wouldn’t be a HDMI receiver, I presume I’d run component wires, would I lose much quality on the video by doing this instead?

Lastly, I noticed on cnet a highly rated HDMI receiver for $500 and change. Other than the convenience on not switching sources, is there any other good reason to go with an HDMI receiver?

Thanks for your help,
    Duane

4. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

I wouldn't purchase a receiver simply because it offers HDMI capabilities. Instead, I would purchase a $500 receiver with higher audio fidelity, and wait a year or two for HDMI receiver prices to come down. The only reason to purchase an HDMI receiver is for convenience or to add more HDMI inputs to your entertainment system.

5. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I would try an upconverting player then try component on the same tv using your current dvd player connected with component and the other with an upconverting player via HDMI. Note that upconverting players only upconvert through HDMI or DVI. Compare the two using the same dvd played at the same time; if you have a duplicate title or you could borrow the same title from someone else. So long as you can switch between the two while watching the same dvd movie.

This will allow you to compare the difference between upconversion and progresive or standard, since I don't know what you currently have. In some scenerios the upconverted material can look worse or offer no significant difference in picture quality. It is mostly in the Eye of the Beholder. Some people can see a difference and some may not see any difference. There isn't much logic in buying something that doesn't offer what you perceive to be a valueble investment. If you notice a lowered PQ or no difference just take the new one back to save some cash. If it offers a significant advantage that is worthwhile then keep it.

6. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

And I wouldn't even think of buying any receiver with HDMI switching now. They have way to many problems right now. When HDMI 1.3 becomes available on receivers I might look into it, but it is still in it's primordial ooze.

7. cobratx

cobratx Auditioning

We currently use our Xbox for watching video’s on a 5 year old 32” non digital CRT TV. Don’t know much about the abilities of this device, but I don’t think it has progressive scan or even component connections.

However, do units typically have both progressive scan and 1080i capabilities? Or do they only have one or the other. You're making me think Seth as I’m looking for the best ‘bang for your buck’ DVD that I can use with my new TV. What do you all recommend?

8. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

The XBox 360 is cabable of outputing with it's current firmware up to 1080i, I believe. You can buy the component video and HDMI or DVI cables at Best Buy. I would think at the release of the HD-DVD drive for the XBox 360, that they will offer a firmware upgrade to allow 1080p. So the best "bang for buck" would be the external HD-DVD drive for the XBox 360, I understand it will come out near the same time as the PS3 and will be offered for $200. So even with this add-on the 360 is still the least expensive of the PS3 and the 360. Does that answer your question?

9. cobratx

cobratx Auditioning

I only have the old xbox, not the 360. Checked it and it appears to have a DVI connection but I'm not sure if that's what it is.

I'm not planning on getting the 360, just the best value DVD that will upconvert to 1080i.