Best way to wire all this stuff up?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoeSR, Jan 16, 2003.

1. JoeSR

JoeSR Extra

I seem to have more stuff than my receiver can easily support. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to set it all up, and still be able to mute the audio through the satellite remote instead of the receiver's remote.
    Anybody wanna help me out here?
    http://www.madcowcrossing.com/mazlem...Misc/E-Sys.JPG

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

is your primary concern being able to mute via the satellite remote? simply put, it may not be possible. i haven't seen too many satellite remotes that can control an audio component.

as far as wiring goes, i would route *everything* through the receiver. that way, you have one-stop switching available to you.

btw - that's a pretty brutal (but cool) pic. you may wanna provide a link instead.

[edit] i just realized your receiver may not have enough connections. is it a current model?

3. JoeSR

JoeSR Extra

Well, the satellite remote can mute the TV, so I guess the audio from the satellite would have to go through the TV before it could go to the receiver.

It's not a new receiver; it's an Optimus STAV-3350. I was thinkin I could split the CD's audio connection on the receiver if I needed an extra input.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

do you know if your tv has fixed/variable audio outputs?

your idea will work if the tv passes a "variable output" signal via it's rca jacks. that way, the volume on the tv will control the volume that is sent to the receiver.

otherwise, if the tv only has a "fixed level" output, then the mute function probably won't work.

i'm not sure about splitting the cd input. i think that would work as long as you weren't playing both sources at once. another option may be some sort of switchbox - i'll bet you a buck that radio-shack sells something that would work for you.

5. JoeSR

JoeSR Extra

Yea my TV's got variable audio outputs; I ended up running the audio from the satellite to the TV, then to a switch, and then to the receiver. The CD player is also hooked into that switch.

Got the switch @ radio shack. Good call.