best way to wash your car. (1 Viewer)

Chris Lanni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christopher
Lew
He mentions in post four that it is a Chevrolet Z-71

Bradley
Another good tip is to use two buckets. One with the soapy water and one with clean rinse water. Dip into bucket one, wash car, dip into bucket two to rinse off dirt and particles, cip back into bucket one for more soapies. That way you do not dirty your cleaning agent.

GodsLove
chris

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Lew, I'm still not sure why you're recommending washing from the bottom up? If you do that, all of the dirt and grime that you're washing off is going to rinse down over the part that you've already washed. I always leave the bottom of my car and the inside of the wheel wells for last and then use a different wash mit to wash them.

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
I was thinking about getting one of those small blower to start off removing most of the water and then finish up with a towel. Anyone think the blower idea will work?

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

I do my wheels and wells first, then go top down. Less risk of wheel cleaner or other heavy solvents from going unrinsed on the paint this way, and fewer water spots on the paint from spraying the wheels and wells with water to rinse.

On the Zaino recommendation....tried it once, and was just too much of a hassle though it gave a great shine.

S100 is a great carnauba wax I'd recommend to anyone looking to wax their car in 45 minutes flat and get a deep wet finish. The stuff is amazingly easy to use, no elbow grease required.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
As one of the original users of Zaino, I have to strongly recommend their products. Sal is a great guy, and he knows what he is doing.

I have to disagree with those who say it is just too much hassle. The first time you use it, you have to use the pre-polish, but for the next year you don't.

The bottom line is that Zaino will not only give the best shine possible, it will give the best protection as well.

Regular carnauba wax will last no more than 90 days, and probably much less than that. Zaino will be good for at least 6 months, especially if you do touch up with their gloss enhancer spray.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I have a 96 mitsubishi that is so banged-up it not worth washing.

My new bike however is.

DO NOT DRY YOUR CAR/BIKE WITH A TOWEL OR CHAMMY

Unless you like swirl marks in your clearcoat. Use compressed air to dry (or use a Mr.Clean type filtered wash).

Black cars are the worst. its scientifically impossible to avoid swirl-marks.... :frowning:

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
well I bought my car used since this is my first car, and what do you know it is black. It has some swirls in it, but it is in pretty good condition. How much does a new clearcoat cost?

LewB

Screenwriter

Swirl marks are an unfortunate fact of life. No need to do anything other than do some reading on detailing, followed by some $ and a little work.
Swirl marks can be minimized, if not hidden by polishing your car. The purpose of polish (say 3x fast :D) is to fill in those nasty swirls and minor blemishes in the finish. You then use a wax to seal in the polish and give it longevity.
I've recently started using the Zaino 'system' on my new car and love the results. Other options are available in the stores and on the web for much less cost I'm sure, if that's an issue.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
Here's another vote for Zaino Brother's products. It will be a little bit of work the first time. A full afternoon if you do the entire system. But the results are incredible.

For each subsequent wash for the next 6 months or so it gets a lot easier. Just wash and use the gloss enhancer.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I second http://www.autopia.org if anyone is SERIOUS about keeping their cars clean and looking good.

Oh, and if you are getting swirl marks in your paint, you need to alter the way you wash your car.

1. Get a GOOD car shampoo / wash solution.

2. Use the two-bucket method. 1 bucket with car wash solution in it and 1 bucket will plain water. Rinse your wash mitt in the bucket with the plain water.

3. Get a waffle-weave microfiber towel for drying.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Another satisfied Zaino user. I have a black 1996 A4 and it makes it shine like the day it rolled off the line, maybe better. I usually only need to do it twice a year. Once in the spring, once in the fall. Takes some time, but worth it. Then only thing that bugs me is dust still manages to collect on the car quickly. BTW I have heard some decent things about Meguiars brand NXT treatment. Supposedly similar results to Zaino, but less time needed. Good tip btw on the 2 bucket method, will have to try that. I also wash in sections, and keep the car the moist until Im ready to dry using a 100% cotton towell 'made in the usa only'.

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
i'm getting interested in using the zaino stuff. Is it available at stores, or is it an online order only?

Mark Leiter

Second Unit

Most of the time it is only avaliable on-line. Here is the link.

Zainos

Every now and again you can find a distributer for the product. Just e-mail Sal at the Zaino web site and he'll give you a list of anyone local to your area. He's real helpfull and knowledgeable

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Many people do this and it works well.

Contrary to what some people say, Zaino does NOT require a lot of work. In fact, I think that it's easier than anything else I've used. It goes on and comes off much easier than any carnuba wax and there's no white dust residue to deal with. Put it on thin and then just wipe it off! The polish lock (Z1) is no longer required. Just mix in a few drops of the ZFX hardener into your polish (Z2 or Z5) and you're good to go. If you're only doing one coat, you don't even need the ZFX. The Z6 will help to increase the shine but it's not a necessity. The more Zaino you get on your paint, the easier it'll be to wash.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Ditto what Tim said about Zaino being EASIER to use than other waxes! It comes off easier and CLEANER than pretty much anything I have used. And I have used a TON of other waxes, but nothing but Zaino in the last 8 years or so.

Regarding drying: many here are recommending the use of cotton towels. A much better, cleaner, alternative is "The Absorber". It is safe as long as you keep it clean, can be re-used for a long period of time, and is very clean (it won't leave lint behind like cotton towels can). It is basically a fake chamois, but much gentler and works better.

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I have the absorber but I am sort of scared to use because it seems like it has a lot of resistance when trying to dry. Seemed like a great way to ruin my paint. i tried washing in the shade, and man did it make a difference. I have very little water spots now.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Just make sure the Absorber is moist before using it. Don't use it completely dry. It doesn't scratch.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

I'd be willing to give Zaino another try. It has changed some since when I used it according to what I've read from the links here.

But, I have to say that there are plenty of carnaubas out now which are as simple as wiping on and wiping off. S100, Souveran (expensive but amazing for black and red cars), Einzett and others.

Probably comes down to preference in which result you like better. I find Zaino to be too glossy and shiny, and prefer the depth a good carnauba gives.

On the Zaino subject...how's their leather conditioning product? I've heard good things about it. Has anyone here ever used it on perforated leather seats?

Vincent_S

Second Unit
Always wash it in the shade. I wash mine in my garage just to keep it out of the sun. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm nuts. I use the Absorber to dry and like it alot. Just make sure it's moist already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks