What's new

Best way to transport speakers when moving? (1 Viewer)

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
i'm moving across country in a month or so, and i'm wondering what is the best way to pack my speakers when i move? i've got paradigm monitor 7's, mini monitors, titans, the cc-350, and the pw-2200.

unfortunately i don't have the original boxes (they were destroyed when the basement where i was storing them flooded). i could probably pack the mini monitors, titans, and center channel in boxes, but the monitor 7's and the sub...i'm not sure i could find boxes for them. do i absolutely have to pack them in boxes, or can i wrap them in blankets or something padded?

i'm running out of ideas, so if anyone has any pointers i would greatly appreciate them...thanks...

Will d s

Stunt Coordinator
Go to a packing store or the local uhaul store and by some styrafoam and boxes (they have all sizes). I dont think blankets will protect them from all the jarring they will receive.

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
I recently moved my speakers, but it was only across town, not across country. Are you using a professional moving company or doing it yourself? When I moved the movers wrapped my speakers in heavy blankets and sort of "shrink-wrapped" them. They made it to my new house without a scratch. I have not heard anybody I know say that their speakers got damaged during a move, so I think you'll be okay. I told the movers that they could do whatever they wanted to my furniture but they better not damage my HT equipment. I gave the crew chief some cash and he said something like, "don't worry dude, we'll take care of your stuff." It's a different story if you're doing it yourself. In the past when I could not afford a mover, when I moved I would put my speakers in the back seat of my car and move them each individually as if they were children. Never had any problems and I've had my speakers for over 20 years. They were the best investment I've ever made relative to electronics. Good luck with your move. I've visited your neck of the woods. HOw can you bear to leave Glacier?

Darren Bremner

Auditioning
I'd suggest using a little trick I learn't years ago when I ran a mobile disco. To prevent the woofers from flopping about and possibly polling during transport, short out the input terminals of the speaker. This damps the speaker movement very effectively. (Try moving the cone with and without the short to see what I mean). Oh, and don't forget to remove the short before hooking them up again :)

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Can you not contact your Paradigm dealer (or them directly) and have them get you new boxes?

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for everyone's suggestions...the main problem is i live in a very isolated area, and the nearest paradigm dealer's in canada.

i think i will try to check out some boxes from u haul and see if they've some that are big enough. otherwise, i guess i'll have to pile on the blankets...

Bruce-E

Stunt Coordinator
I would go to Walmart or Kmart and get those big plastic boxes with lids.Wrap your speakers and put them in the plastic boxes with clothes or pillows.The lid keeps them dry and keeps them being damaged from anything on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks