What's new

best way to test the ideal spot for a sub? music CD, avia etc? (1 Viewer)

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
I have 3 spots in my room i can put my sub.
I know your suppose to put the sub where you would be sitting then walk to those 3 spots and wherever it sounds best...put it there.

Well i don't know what to use. I only use my set up for MOVIES, but any movies with bass....i can't really notice a diffrence in the 3 spots.
I have a pretty bad ear for these sort of things.
I own over 300 DvD's....so any DvD spots anyone can think of?
Sure i tried with Attack of the clones...with the mines...but the bass is so short its hard to compare.

I need a good solid stretch of bass to compare....i've had no luck finding anything decent to test with.

I have the new Video essentials...but i can hardly hear the bass with the "Bass management" section. Just a low humming.
My SPL says its at 81 DB but it doesn't seem very loud or "boomey".
I have a Verodyne 10".

Also....should i switch the back to "phase" and "180" back and forth as i do tests?

Thanks for ANY tips or suggestions guys.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Funny you would say that. I have had a PB2+ for a month and have not had much time to check on placement. I just put it in place where the other two were it replaced. I have a rat shack meter but was earing it until my speakers get here so I dont have to go through everthing again. But whats funny is as I was going though my collections I was having the same problem.. nothing lasted long enough and by the time I got it back cued up and the sub (back breaker) back to the last spot I forgot what the sound difference was. Getting old I guess.

Ned

Supporting Actor
The only objective (and affordable) method is to use sine waves, measure their intensity with the radio shack meter, and then plot the results with a spreadsheet like that by HTF member, Chris Tsutsui (check DIY area).

Dustin Wind

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just looking for a basic way to find the best spot....no graphing or charting lol.
Something simple yet effective.
Mabye a long bass peice with a certain movie?

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
You know the way its going.. we now have ISF folks for RPTV's and projectors... now we need pros that will come in for a fee and calibrate our speakers and subs... what do you think???? I'd pay for that... Even though I have only played with the Rat. Shack meter I bought as I am will waiting on my speakers to get her I can tell its going to be a pain in the butt. Id rather pay someone to come do it for me as I am too busy. Would rather spend my time watching a movie or concert that tweeking... anyone else out there like me or am I in the minority....

Ned

Supporting Actor
Dustin-

Just as calibrating a tv with movie content is impossible, so is doing so for your sub/speakers.

Using a meter and spreadsheet takes less than 5 minutes once you're familiar with the process. You could spend 10x that listening to bassy scenes and still accomplish nothing tangible.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I have the new Video essentials...but i can hardly hear the bass with the "Bass management" section. Just a low humming. My SPL says its at 81 DB but it doesn't seem very loud or "boomey".
Sub tones are much less audible than tones coming from the other speakers. The frequencies generated by the sub are less audible to the human ear. So even though the SPL meter says 81db, it will sound lower than the other speakers at 81db.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Ok I will show my ignorance here again. Since I have not read the Rat Shack Meter manual yet. Is there anything in there explaining the graph or does someone here have directions and would be willing to offer help or an upload of an example? Thanks.... I'd much rather use that 5 minutes graphing than 10 for naught. Actually its probably going to be like a yard project. My hour jobs usually last about 5 hours.

Bret Pritchett

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just looking for a basic way to find the best spot....no graphing or charting lol.
Something simple yet effective.
Mabye a long bass peice with a certain movie?
I think the menu for Apollo 13 has a continuos low hum (suppose to be the rocket engines or something). I would check that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks