Best Way To Terminate Speaker Cables?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_VI, Mar 8, 2002.

1. John_VI

John_VI Second Unit

I'm asking about terminals only, NOT specific types/brands of speaker cables. So....

Let's start with the assumptions that both the receiver(amp) and the speakers have 5-way, gold-plated binding posts and that you're using speaker cable that does NOT already have terminals installed. And let's also assume that you want the cleanest connection possible, regardless of the cost of the terminals.

So what do you use and why? Bare wire? Banana plugs? Spades? Pins? The Force?

And regarding the "why", is your choice a matter of convenience or performance? For instance, you might use banana plugs because they are both clean and darned easy to hook/unhook when you move things around. Or you might use bare wire because connectors suck and you cement your speakers to the floor. LOL!

So what say ye?

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Bare Wire, cause I'm cheap AND it's a single connection.

Wire - Speaker

not Wire - Connector - Speaker

BUT I will be making some nice DIY for art-type purposes, so my J6P friends can say ooh-ahh. Probably banana's.

- CM

3. Dennis B

Dennis B Stunt Coordinator

I'd say bare wire makes the best connection and bananas are the most practical while still making a good connection. Spades are inbetween. The other problem with bare wire is oxidation with time, so cut them short if you go this way.

4. John Sonnenberg

John Sonnenberg Auditioning

I've been a bare wire fan till recently. I was always of the 'less is more' club. But I 've just switched to Bananas for all speakers and haven't noticed a difference in sound. I was tired of constantly undoing speaker connections hooking up stuff. There is no better way then bananas, except for dual bananas.

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I have bare wire terminations at all my speakers, but use banana's at my receiver just because everything is so tightly packed together back there.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I think the THX specification calls for over-sized spade connectors.
    I personally like the strong mechanical connection with the dual banana plugs (RS xxx-308) for behind the speakers, and the 2-piece bananas (RS xxx-306) for behind the receiver. I have not had a loose wire in 2 years.
    (I'm also the guy famous for loosing the cover for his PC, and the back for the equipment rack - I play around a lot.[​IMG]

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I use banana plugs at both the receiver and speaker end. I do this for convenience, and because the binding posts on the receiver end are too tightly spaced to connect bare wire without a struggle. The gold plated connectors also provides a nice clean look -- the backs of my receiver, center and front left speaker are all visible when you enter the family room.

8. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I asked this in another thread, but it seems pertinent here... Up to what size wire will 'spring clip'-style receivers accept? I've got binding posts for my mains but the old spring clips for center and surround and I want to make sure that I don't get a wire thats too big. I'm looking at 12ga right now from www.partsexpress.com which is cheaper than their 14ga. 12ga is getting pretty thick, and I'm worried that it won't fit in the spring clips.
    Thanks!

9. Thad_C

Thad_C Agent

Dave,

14 gauge works (barely) on the spring clips on my Onkyo. I think 12 gauge would be a struggle, but it might be possible.

10. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

Would the pin connectors be a good way to get around this problem? I guess I've never looked at the spring clips very closely, but it doesn't seem like these: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=2461&DID=7 would work very well, they'd just break off hanging halfway out...