What's new

BEST WAY TO STREAM WIRESLESS MUSIC TO AN OLDER RECEIVER? (1 Viewer)

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I have an older receiver (B&K AVR 507) and I'm trying to figure out the best way to stream wireless music from my home network to the receiver. I'm not even sure if this is possible so I'm hoping someone here can educate me. Mods feel free to move this thread to the appropriate area and my apologies if I've posted this in the wrong forum.
Greg

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Most of the solutions I've seen are all about the same price. AudioEngine, Aperion Audio and Outlaw Audio (the ones that I've seen so far) all offer something similar that have a transmitter and receiver that does the D to A and passes analog to the receiver.
Example: http://outlawaudio.com/products/OAW3.html

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
If your music is in iTunes, you could consider an Airport Express or an Apple TV. Apple TV is more flexible, and it comes with a remote. Both Airport Express and Apple TV have optical digital outputs that will go to a receiver with an optical digital input. The Airport Express has an analog output (actually, optical and analog are shared by a 1/8 inch jack.) Both Airport Express and Apple TV can bridge to your network wired or wirelessly. And both can be controlled by a Remote App for iPad and iPhone.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
I use this: http://www.audiopro.com/node/136
I have no experience with the Apple products Steve mentioned, but they certainly have more features than this product and may be more appealing to you if you use iTunes.
However, if you're looking for something very simple, then this is it - you plug a USB dongle into your computer and another one with an audio output into a power outlet and your receiver. It acts as an additional sound card for your computer (or several computers, since you can buy additional transmitters) and sends the audio to your receiver without the need for any additional configuration.
The upside to this approach is that no matter the amount of data traffic in your wireless network, you will not experience audio dropouts as the product uses a proprietary protocol and frequency range.
I'm not sure about the pricing or easy availability of this system in the United States but I have been very happy with my purchase for a long time and think it's well worth looking into.
EDIT: It looks like the Outlaw system is exactly the same as the one I'm recommending.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
John Garcia said:
Most of the solutions I've seen are all about the same price. AudioEngine, Aperion Audio and Outlaw Audio (the ones that I've seen so far) all offer something similar that have a transmitter and receiver that does the D to A and passes analog to the receiver.
Example: http://outlawaudio.com/products/OAW3.html
Appreciate the response. This appears to be exactly what I'm looking for and will do the trick!
Thanks,
Greg

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I just placed an order for the system offered by Outlaw. I'll post results once it arrives and I've had the oppurtunity to use it. I'm really looking forward to having the ability to listen to my music collection wirelessly through my stereo system.
Greg

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Cool. I am curious to hear your thoughts once you try it out, as I am considering it or one of the ones I mentioned for a few different applications (deck speakers, garage speakers, others). Let us know.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Today I received the wireless audio system I ordered from Outlaw Audio. Right out of the box it was easy to see that this is a very high quality product. All of the connectors are gold plated and packaging was exceptional. For the sake of my review I'll be utilizing my wireless audio set up to stream music to my B&K AVR507 wirelessly from my laptop computer. I use Windows 7 and Zune software to store and play my entire music collection so my review and impressions will be based on these factors.
Once I determined which connections I needed to use in order to configure the system for my needs It took me literally less than 10 minutes to install the appropriate devices and start listening to music. Windows 7 had no issues recognizing and installing the drivers for the USB device and the user manual was extremely intuitive making set-up a breeze. Everything worked immediately and exactly as it was advertised. Sound quality is at least as good as it was having my computer connected directly to my AVR if not a little better. I can detect absolutely no delay between my input on the laptop to hearing my selection through my speakers. I am very, very pleased with the results as well as with the quality of this product and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting the ability to stream wirelessly to their AVR without purchasing a new unit with this feature built in. Thank you for all the responses and to John for providing me with the link to Outlaw Audio.
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks