Best way to store DVDs.....?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Jan 18, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Horizontally or vertically? I'm asking because I read in my DVD player manual that you're supposed to store them vertically because they may warp if you keep them horizontally. As of right now I can't store mine vertically because I don't have any cabinets with shelves tall enough to do it with, so I have to keep them on their backs. All seem to be working fine, even though I had some of them like this over a year now.

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I would think that the main reason the advice is being given to store DVD's vertically (like books on a shelf) rather than horizontally would be to prevent creating stacks, say, of 25 or more high. In the olden days of LD's (and LP's for that matter) it was never a good idea to store these 12" platters in a pile since there definitely could be some warping effects (among other things) if the weight of the pile became too great.
    Even though the DVD cases are, for the most part, more rigid than LD/LP sleeves, I still wouldn't want to take my chances with a really high stack - especially with the weak construction of some of these cases. Besides, doesn't it become really inconvenient to get at that bottom disc on the pile? Of course if your horizontal storage is done in compartments this is less of a hassle.
    The bottom line:
    I don't think there is imminent danger of damaging your DVDs horizontally as long as you don't let gravity enter the equation. But most people like myself prefer storage in the vertical plane. (See my HT site for some pictures of my "modest" collection - especially the "What's Next" section, listed under "The Neverending Story" sub-division)
    [​IMG]

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Ok, thanks. I only have stacks of like 10 in each pile, any more than that and I seem to fumble with them. Like I said, f I could do it vertically, I would, Right now I don't have the space to put 97 DVDs vertically.

4. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

I wouldn't worry about stacks 10 units high. That shouldn't cause any problem at all.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I've got stacks 23 high, just put your snappers at the top, it's fine, cases aren't warped or anything on the bottom. Gotta wait till I move for new shelves [​IMG]

6. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

If you leave the DVD's horizontal for too long(2 year's). The digital bits will start realigning, and this will cause severe pixelation.[​IMG]

7. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

I store mine vertically, like books. I even have a few VHS in there as well!!! (until they're relpaced on DVD). I find it easier to browse them and pick out what to watch.

The films are in alphabetical order, except for the Bonds which are at the beginning (they have a nice logo on their spines). The TV shows are separate to the films.

Robert, that is an amazing collection. I'd love to browse your collection (ever put a list online?). How do you decide what to watch?

8. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Darren,
    I prefer not to list my entire collection on-line (even though I do use DVD Profiler). Besides, it would only reflect about half of the collection becasue at this point the number of DVD and LD titles are very close. (About 1650 to 1776 at last count).
    As to what to watch, Darts are an option.
    [​IMG]
    Seriously, I go with the flow. Sometimes, I go for the recent releases (I just finished Twin Peaks Season #1 during today's snowstorm) and sometimes old favorites (Mr. Hulot's Holiday and The Party the other night). Very often, watching one movie suggests another and I go from there. Sometimes someone comes over and asks, "Do you have..." If I don't, I usually have something in the same genre.
    Doug Pratt's article (reproduced on my web site under "Why So Many Movies") explains the phenomenon much bette than I could. Those who own a large number of titles know exactly what he's saying.