What's new

Best way to split the funds. (1 Viewer)

Jedd

Second Unit
Now that I got some cash together and narrowed down some equipment choices (thanks for your help):
The brands are Marantz/Denon, Axiom/Paradigm and Adire/SVS for the reciever, speakers and the sub.
The budget is $2000 US dollars.
The goal is 70/30 - music/HT.
B-stock and used stuff are also a part of the equation.
How would you suggest to split the funds between these three categories? i.e. 400/1000/600? (allow 10 bucks for a six-pack
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
)

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I say, spend at least $1,400 (maybe even $1,500) combined on the receiver and speakers. Try to spend a little more on the speakers, because the money you put into them will improve the sound of your system more than if you dumped those funds into an expensive receiver.

Then, use the remaining $600 on a subwoofer. I'm an SVS guy, so I have to give my nod to them. However, the Adire Dharman has received very high praise at $599. I'd strongly consider that sub, especially if you're more concerned with movie soundtracks than with music.

Good luck with your purchases!

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jedd,

You might try looking at accessories4less.com for refurbished Marantz equipment. It's true, the Marantz receivers to have a "warm" sound. Going A/B I was able to pick out details in music that I could not hear in my older Denon. I'm not sure about the lastest genaration of Denons.

Good Luck!

Leon

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
I agree with Jeff. Plan on $1400-1500 on speakers and an AV Rec. Blow the rest on a sub and some beer. I have never demo'd it, but I hear/read that HSU makes a great sub in the $400-$500 range.

Happy Hunting!

--Steve

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Is your goal to get all 5 speakers at once, or would you consider just the mains and a sub initially?

Going with just the mains + a sub might make sense if you anticipate having cash to spend later or if you thought you might really get into this hobby and be struck with an upgrade bug. Also, since the majority of your use will be for music, this MIGHT be a better option. My system is also for 70% music. If you want all 5 speakers at one shot, there are still decent packages in your range.

As a point of reference, my mains retail for about 1k. All my speakers (Mains, surrounds and center) retail for around 2K total. So my total speaker investment is around 2700 retail, with 700 of that being dedicated to the sub.

The actual street prices obviously vary, but my goal was to start a point of reference for you.

--Steve

Jedd

Second Unit
Well, actually my plan is to get couple of M22ies, good sub - Rava or SVS 31PCi, reciever - have no idea what model and connect them to my dvd. So after that I could bring home different speakers (i.e. Paradigm, AR) and compare them side by side. And depending on the result procced to M60ies for main, another pair of M22i or whatever I'll find good for me.

Probably M60i+sub wont give me anything over M22i+sub, and that's the crucial point for saving $300-$400.

StanleyW

Stunt Coordinator
this is how i spent my slightly over 2k budjet. got used monitor audio silver's 5,10,and 3i's at audiogon for 1100. spend 330 on a hk (310) receiver. got a svs 20-39cs and a marantz ma500 for a sub setup of about 650. i am using it for 50/50 music and ht. it is a great setup for 2k. the monitor audio's are great for music. the svs just kicks a$$. good luck with your system.

Andrew JC

Stunt Coordinator
Jedd, You may want to consider a purchase from Natural Sound in Framingham. They offer a decent upgrade program, example if you buy a receiver for $500 you can go back in three years spend $1000 and you will get your original $500 as a credit. Also I know a retailer who is selling B stock Rotel Pre amps they retailed for $2000 now selling for $600. Enjoy shopping...

Jedd

Second Unit
Jedd, You may want to consider a purchase from Natural Sound in Framingham. They offer a decent upgrade program, example if you buy a receiver for $500 you can go back in three years spend $1000 and you will get your original $500 as a credit. Also I know a retailer who is selling B stock Rotel Pre amps they retailed for $2000 now selling for $600. Enjoy shopping...

Natural Sound is a good shop, but they making profit on high prices instead of high quantity. As i remember Tweeter's have the same upgrade policy and offer the same stuff for less. But I should visit them again. Last time I was looking at speakers, now it's time to choose a reciever.

Can you, please, give me adress of that Rotel retailer?

Are there any Denon's B-stocks around?

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
This is how I spent $1600 total. This is only to illustrate what is possible for that kind of money, and I am taking into account that you indicated used and B-stock was acceptable.
1 pr Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v.2's mains ($435 used, pristine)
Studio-CC Center ($375 demo model, Christmas sale)
1 pr Paradigm Titan v.2's, surrounds ($140 used, also pristine)
Sony SA-wm40 subwoofer ($140 new online)
Denon 3801 receiver ($500, demo model)
The only weak point in this system is the sub, which doesn't work well for music and I would not recommend it for your 70/30 system. At any rate, if you want something that substantially outperforms the money you spent, do look into buying lightly used components from audiophiles at www.audiogon.com. My stuff is only 6 months used. I cannot tell you how amazing the price/performance ratio is on my system. Buying speakers used is vastly underrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks