Best way to ship tires.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I have a set of 4 OEM BMW rims (16"x7.5") that fit an E36 3-series with a set of Blizzak WS15 snow tires on it that I am trying to sell on bimmer.org, can anybody suggest the best way to ship them domestically? Would simply slapping on a sticker to the tire and rim do it or is there some kind of plastic covering I could use (I have some beat up tirebags from Firestone). Or could I get 4 boxes and ship them individually?

Any suggestions?

I welcome anybody from the NJ/NYC area that has an E36 that want some nice snow tires, I'll entertain any reasonable offer, would save me how to figure out to ship these guys...

Jay

P.S. Oops, subject title should be rims+tires.

2. DaveNel

DaveNel Second Unit

Actually you can just tie the 4 together, And pit shipping labels on them that way. I drive for mayflower and i have seen it done that way before..

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Not sure about wheels but whenever you order new tires from tirerack they just tie them together in pairs and put a shipping label on them.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

are they steel wheels or alloy? if steel I'd just label 'em and go. Alloys might get scratched and should probably be boxed.

5. DaveNel

DaveNel Second Unit

If they are like expensive, And you wanna be safe Box em birds [​IMG]

6. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

I sold some wheels and tires once. I used sheets of cardboard on the front and back of each wheel and then a plastic bander to wrap around in two places to hold the cardboard. The tire was left exposed but the wheel was protected. Also be careful if you tie them together UPS max weight is 150 lbs. it doesnt cost extra to ship them individually and they are a lot more manageable.

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    These are alloy wheels as they are the original wheels I got when I bought my 328i back in 1997. I eventually bought some aftermarket Borbet rims and switched the originals to the Blizzaks so now that I sold the 328i, I have this set to sell. Somebody in Tennessee inquired as to how much to ship there so I was first going to figure out the best way.

Picture

Jay

8. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I've had tires/rims shipped before and it's really not much hassle..... The clear plastic clingy wrap is great if you can find it.... probably ship them in pairs...... a little common sense on weight factor...... which may lead you to ship seperately.

I usually use FEDEX GROUND for bulk such as tires.... they are definitely the lease expensive!

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I tried the quote thing on FedEx Ground (they have a 150lb weight limit on tires. and doing 4 tires at 26x26"x10" and a weight of 45lbs (I am completely guessing on the weight, I have to go home and weight one wheel). I came up with about $75 to ship from NJ to Tennessee with no addons at all. Does that sound reasonable?

Jay

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

if you want to ship them as cheaply as possible jay, go to www.shipgreyhound.com and get a quote on a bus. It's usually pretty reasonable for large/weird/heavy things.

11. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Jay, Sounds pretty reasonable to me.... it cost me 58 bucks for 4 tires from Ohio to Tenn... just tires, no rims.
    Good luck.....

12. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    OK, thanks guys, I just weighed them and measured them, my 26" diameter x10" width is pretty good and the one wheel weighs in at 41lbs, but then my guy in Tennessee just backed out. However, I have a guy in NJ interested in it which would be ideal!

Jay