1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to ship a Laserdisc player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John DeLuca, Aug 15, 2001.

1. John DeLuca

John DeLuca Stunt Coordinator

I just sold my laserdisc player in the hardware for sale section and I just want to get suggestions on shipping the unit without it getting any damage. I have the original box and packing material and I'm going to put all of that into another box just to be safe. Is there anything I can do for the player itself though? It doesn't look like there ever was a shipping screw but should I tape the tray shut or are there any other tricks to keep it secure?

2. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

I know most, if not all, Pioneers actually lock themselves when you power them off with no disc inside. You can hear it park the head when you turn it off. Not sure about your model.
    I shipped a DVL-91 laserdisc/DVD combo player from Virginia to Texas a while back. I double boxed it with the original packing and plenty of packing peanuts and had no problems.
    Hope this helps,
    Bruce
    ------------------
    "Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic lifeform?"

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Some models (inc many Pioneer) have transit screws to hold the laser mechanism in place. Others, as described above, (ie Pioneer 505) get locked in place on power down. Regardless, pack in the orginal box, THEN double box with at least 4 " of peanuts around the original box. I have heard, and had myself, many horror stories about LD player shipping problems. I think that LD players are about the most fragile piece of electronics out there.
    Lots of luck, AND DONT FORGET THE INSURANCE
    Gregg
    ------------------
    The Sonodome
    The Newest Sonotube
    Gregg's DVDs
    The Family Units

4. John DeLuca

John DeLuca Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses guys. This is a Mitsubishi LD player so I'm not sure about the shipping screw. I'm definitely going to pack this thing really well.