best way to sell my used car?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Earl J, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to sell my wifes 94 Toyota Tercel and I'm not sure of the best way to go about it. Sure I'll put a sign on the window and probably advertise in a local paper, but are there specific printed car magazines/periodicals that anyone can suggest or web sites to try out?

I live in the Southern California if that helps with any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

2. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I just sold my Saab 900SE on www.cars.com
    My buyer saw the ad, asked me a few questions on the telephone, and drove 120 miles from Nashville to drive it and buy it.
    The ad cost $25 for unlimited time. I sold the car in 3 weeks.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I sold our last two cars without even placing an advertisement. I simply placed a sign in the car and parked it in a highly visible location. Both were gone within a week.

4. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

hmmm, autotrader or cars.com? Any opinions on which is better? It looks like cars.com is a bit cheaper but if autotrader is a more popular site, I think the additional money might be worth it. Hopefully I'll be lucky like Scott and sell it from the signs posted on the window.

Thanks for all of your help.

5. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I went with cars.com because when I checked my local newspaper's online classifieds for automobiles, it kicked me into cars.com. I think they have some deal with many newspapers to be their online car ads. Since it's always easier to sell a car locally, you might check your local paper's online classifieds and see if they link to a particular used car site.

FWIW, cars.com also appraised my car for a higher amount than other websites did. I figured if anyone used cars.com for their research, they would be willing to pay a higher price.

6. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Stunt Coordinator

I sold my '95 Legend on autotrader.com very quickly and with no hassle. My friend sold his '95 Jeep quickly on autotrader as well. I didn't try cars.com becaues it wasn't for sale long enough for me to look around for more, but that was just my experience.

7. ShawnF

ShawnF Stunt Coordinator

I used autotrader.com and got many inquiries about my car. I highly recommend it. Ultimately, it was the "for sale" sign I had posted on my car that did the job.

Good luck.

8. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

Thanks again for all of the advice. I just placed an ad in autotrader.com. I hope it works!![​IMG]

9. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

I used ebaymotors.com. Worked great [​IMG]