What's new

best way to remove silicone? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
The shower stall leaks so I'm removing the old silicone but I'm having trouble around the metal edge on the bottom. I tried using a putty knife but I scratch the metal. Is there a solvent specifically for this?

jeremy

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I have never had any luck with any solvent reducing dried silicone. Im afraid that the putty knife or a razor scraper is your best bet.
best way to remove silicone?
Many in Hollywood feel surgery is the best way! ;)
Mike

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Scraping is about the only way. You might try heating it with a hairdryer first, which should make it more pliable. I usually use a sharp razor blade at a low angle for this stuff. Once I get most of it off, I use a putty knife, but dragging it across rather than using the cutting edge.

Silicone is a PITA.

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
As an auto tech,Ive cussed removing silicone for close to 20 years now:D That magic removal spray is what I dream of inventing so I can quit working:emoji_thumbsup: .There is no way but scraping,and using a razor to get the smaller chunks.A wire brush attachment on a drill/die grinder helps,but would probobly do quite a bit of damage to surrounding surfaces.So,back to the razor blade.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Maybe you can invent a heat gun with a tip (like a soldering iron perhaps?) to press against the silicone and make it easy to remove?
If you patent it, make sure my name is also on the patent application. :) :)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Maybe you can invent a heat gun with a tip (like a soldering iron perhaps?)
I believe they have something like this. When I had my home inspected, the inspector said I could find a scraper attachment that fits onto a soldering iron. This was to aid in the removal of the old caulk on my cedar house when it came time to re-stain it. Well, I just hired some guys to do it and I think they used a scraper. But... you may be able to find something like this... good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks