best way to remove silicone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

The shower stall leaks so I'm removing the old silicone but I'm having trouble around the metal edge on the bottom. I tried using a putty knife but I scratch the metal. Is there a solvent specifically for this?

jeremy

2. Mike Knapp

Mike Knapp Supporting Actor

Mike
    I have never had any luck with any solvent reducing dried silicone. Im afraid that the putty knife or a razor scraper is your best bet.

3. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Scraping is about the only way. You might try heating it with a hairdryer first, which should make it more pliable. I usually use a sharp razor blade at a low angle for this stuff. Once I get most of it off, I use a putty knife, but dragging it across rather than using the cutting edge.

Silicone is a PITA.

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

5. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

As an auto tech,Ive cussed removing silicone for close to 20 years now[​IMG] That magic removal spray is what I dream of inventing so I can quit working[​IMG] .There is no way but scraping,and using a razor to get the smaller chunks.A wire brush attachment on a drill/die grinder helps,but would probobly do quite a bit of damage to surrounding surfaces.So,back to the razor blade.

6. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Maybe you can invent a heat gun with a tip (like a soldering iron perhaps?) to press against the silicone and make it easy to remove?
    If you patent it, make sure my name is also on the patent application. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer