What's new

Best way to print out a CD Booklet (not cover/insert)? (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I want to make a mix CD (which I hadn't done in forever, I used to make a ton of mix tapes back in the day).

I am one of those "near-perfectionist" kind of guys. Put a lot of thought into the song list, order, etc. I'd like to include a really nice CD Booklet with this mix-CD.

I'm not talking about a CD cover and tracklist on the back. I want to print out a booklet, like what you get w/ a CD. I have access to a nice color laser printer and photo-quality inkjet. I have access to the following programs:

1. MS Word 2003
2. Adobe Pagemaker 7
3. Adobe Photoshop 7

My question is: can anyone recommend a template that I can work off of in any of these programs? Ideally I'd like the kind that will let me print facing pages on 8.5 x 11 paper.

Here's the tricky part, which is what I'm asking help on:

You know in a booklet, if it's 8 pages long, then pages 1 and 8 are on 1 piece of paper, 2 and 7 on another, 3 and 6 on one, and 4 and 5 on the last, then you staple them together to make a booklet. Is there any template in the programs above that anyone knows of that will take this into account for me? I've looked at the default ones that come w/ the program and can't find one that seems suitable, but maybe I just don't know what to look for.

Or will I have to do it "the hard way" and just start writing the pages down, find out how long it is, and cut and paste after the fact (since I will be creating pages in sequential order, 1-2-3-4, rather than 1-8, 2-7, etc)?

Does anyone get what I'm asking? Any help or advice?

Thanks!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mike. However I was hoping to put some images in there, but if this turns out to be the best option, I may just have to go without...

Shane Roach

Stunt Coordinator
Carlo,

Typically, an 8-page book let is actually printed on a single sheet of paper, then folded and trimmed to create the booklet. It's been a long time since I've used Pagemaker, but there may be an option in it somewhere to take your pages and arrange them into something called an 8-page signature. If not, you might need to step up to something like Adobe InDesign or Quark XPress, or there could be a Pagemaker plug-in that'll allow you to set up folding sigs.

If you can lay the pages out that way and your printer will accommodate wide paper, you'll only have to print twice (once on each side of the sheet). Then you can fold it twice, and trim off the edges.

If you can't make a real signature, you can do it with two sheets if you just remember that pages 1 and 8 butt together and have 2 and 7 on their reverse sides, and 3 & 6 work the same way with 4 & 5.

Sven Johansen

Auditioning
I have a plugin called "Quite Imposing" for Adobe Acrobat that is used to make booklets (i work for Xerox). I can do it for you. Just email me your word-document, and I'll do the rest.

My address is: [email protected]

Sven

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks