What's new

Best way to play non-widescreen games on a Widescreen TV? (1 Viewer)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Jeffrey, you seem to think that what I outlined as my opinion and my thoughts were somehow meant to be hypocritical (or are hypocritical in your views). I am a staunch OAR supporter as well as a person that refuses to buy a DVD if the original sound format is not included. I could go on with examples but I don't see a point. Furthermore I have the upmost respect for what game developers do and I feel that I have proven as such in the past.

My response to you was my thoughts and beliefs on the subject at hand and *I* find none of it hypocritical in the least bit. Our views are simply in direct opposition. I am sorry Jeffrey but I'll be "proud" of my beliefs and whatever I please. Whether it be a hypocrisy in your eyes or not.

Fact of the matter is for some reason or another many folks here prefer to play thier games in a stretch mode or in full on widescreen, whether it be because of wanting to prevent burn-in on thier sets, preferences to the like, so forth so on.

You believe that there are set guidelines on how these things should be done, I don't. I have yet to see any kind of mandate or outline on what a developer aims for one way or another (Unlike the film industry where we have the directors direct vision to guide us). In my opinion this subject has too many grey areas to put strict guidelines on and therefore I personally don't. What I do see is that I am given a choice by the developers and I excercise that choice at my own discretion as many other do as well.

In the end Jeffrey, Its just a difference of opinion and with this subject we will just have to agree to disagree. I do find it rather disconcerting of you to make accusations of hypocrisy to anyone here however. If you prefer to play your games in a certain way Jeff, thats great but I don't need to subscribe to an aspect ratio bible (which no developer has yet to outline for us) to decide how to play mine.

This is an interesting subject however. I plan on making my way to E3 this year and this is a question that I would really love to ask a few developers while Im there and get some thoughts on the matter.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Romier;

I apologize if I came across in an accusatory tone. I have the utmost respect for your opinions and would never willingly suggest that your integrity was not up to par.

You're right, you and I will have to agree to disagree. Ultimately, I don't expect to change your opinion, and I assure you that you won't get me to play my games stretched on my 16:9 TV. :) Yet, there's no reason we should refuse to engage in a healthy debate on the matter if we so desire.

In my own defense, I will say that I only brought up the matter of hypocrisy because you did. I did refer to the practice of using stretch modes for games among staunch OAR supporter as a double standard, but never accused any one of being outright hypocritical. I simply quoted what you said because I felt it was relevant to the discussion and I had a point to make in regards to it. That is all.

I certainly hope that no ill feelings have been brought about between us in this discussion, as that was not at all my intent.

Oh, and one other thing: I used to play DOA 3 on a 4:3 set in 16:9 mode (Sony Wega), as well as a few other Xbox games (which escape me at the moment).
Well, that's not what I meant when I asked the question. I forgot that some TVs have a 16:9 squeeze mode when I asked it.

paul_v

Second Unit
Games are meant to be played. If I were a developer I would be more concerned with someone hacking/altering the game versus stretching the picture.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
I've tried playing 4:3 games on my 16:9 in different stretch/crop modes and ultimatly I end up putting the setting back on 4:3 with bars on the sides. I just can't get into a game with distorted objects on the screen.

So I'd have to agree that games should be played in their native aspect ratios barring game options to play on other modes.

I also disagree with the folks who think games are different from movies when it comes to artistic merit. Game designers, I'm sure, spend as much time in designing and creating geometry shapes as much as directors spend time placing and removing objects from a set for a shot.

But yes, ultimatly, it comes down to the individual consumer and what he/she wants to do with the product in his/her home.

Bill Eberhardt

Stunt Coordinator
I have around 40 xbox games and I really don't know which ones are 4:3 and which ones are 16:9. I just put them in and play. I have never noticed any distortion on the screen for the games that I have.

In this case, ignorance is bliss. Since I don't know if I am stretching the image it doesn't bother me. Even if I knew, it probably wouldn't bother me unless it altered the gameplay.

If I had, say, a flight simulator where I was banking from side to side and could see the aspect ratio changing, that might make a difference.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
I notice distorted 16:9 games almost immediately. Some games, I agree, don't look as bad as others.

Mech Assualt is a non 16:9 game, but it doesn't seem to look so bad stretched to 16:9. The robots look fatter and shorter in 16:9. Where as in 4:3, they look taller and much more natural in their surroundings.

I can't get the point of why games are progressive scan enabled only to be in 4:3. :confused:

Progressive scan and 16:9 should go hand-in-hand.

Another example of clueless folks behind the scenes in this regard...or so it seems anyway.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Originally posted by Graeme Clark:
Ugh, not this again.
No need to groan, Graeme. Romier and I are gentlemen and will settle this in a fitting fashion. Neither one of us wishes to turn this board into a dumping grounds for extremist fanboy rantings.

So then, Romier, will it be pistols at dawn, or shall we settle this with a little good old fashioned swordplay?

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Geeze...I can't believe we are actually arguing over OAR for games. It simply doesn't bother me with games. Nothing is getting cut out either way, unlike P&S movies. So no comparison there. Like Romier pointed out, lots of games have 16:9 and 4:3 modes, so how can you argue for a clear "vision"? And just a personal note, so many things aren't in realistic proportions to begin with, so "distorting" the image really doesn't have a noticeable effect on most games. This, again, is unlike virtually any movie where things are usually in true life proportions and distortion is clearly noticeable. That's my two cents.

[EDIT] I also think it's important to point out that everything in most movies is scripted...every word, every movement, etc... It's a definite vision. Games are far more fluid. The player(s) determines the actions of the character(s). The amount of fluidity varies greatly between games, but it's still a far different situation than movies where you are just watching a work that is completely scripted. You are an active participant in a game, you are helping to determine the final vision.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
No need to groan, Graeme.
It's not that I think it's going to get into fanboy rantings, it's just that I don't see the point of having this conversation again. You talk about distorting the artist's intent, but if the artists themselves don't care, or would even choose to distort their work given the choice, then the point is moot.

Let me ask you this... if a website says "Best viewed in 800x600" do you switch your resolution?

Joe michaels

Second Unit
Look, when it comes to games it has absolutely nothing to do with designer intent. This is about displayin the game correctly on your type of monitor which can easily be done through programming. I would submit that if you asked ANY game developer/programmer/creator they would not say they intended the game to not have a mode for a widescreen display. These games are designed to be watched on a television display monitor of some type and more and more of them are trying to include various display types, just not enough of them.
And if you want to discuss director intent for a movie I bet that many of them would tell you that they didn't intend for their movie to be watched on a television but rather in a large Cineplex on the silver screen. in that case i guess we should all get rid of our home theaters.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
things aren't in realistic proportions to begin with, so "distorting" the image really doesn't have a noticeable effect on most games.
I strongly disagree. Taking a 4:3 image and stretching it with Full mode certainly causes distortion.

Want to see Jill Valentine with an ass bigger than J.Lo?? Play Resident Evil in Full mode.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I strongly disagree. Taking a 4:3 image and stretching it with Full mode certainly causes distortion.
I didn't say it didn't cause distortion, only that it is not that noticeable on most games. Depends on the characters in the game. I actually played in RE:Rebirth in 4:3 since the distortion was noticeable. But then look at a game like Halo. People actually debated whether or not is was a widescreen game when it first launched. It was hard to tell. I always play that 16:9. Then look at games like Twisted Metal: Black. I always play that in 16:9 too. The distortion is very hard to see unless you switch back and forth and look for specific examples. Anyway, it depends largely on the type of game and character design (fighters, for example, usually show the distortion clearly). It simply isn't noticeable on most of the games I usually play (action/FPS). I play TM:B and Halo all the time with friends and none of them have ever once made a comment about distorion. I doubt it's even crossed their minds.

An interesting side note about the developers intent: In the game "The Getaway" that was just released for the PS2, the manual says, "The recommended option is 16x9 Widescreen[for playing the game]". Pretty interesting, because I think that is the first time I have seen a "recommended option" where the developers/game company voiced an opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks