Best way to mount Mini Monitors on wall

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Andrew B, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Andrew B

Andrew B Agent

Howdy eh, I am looking for the best way to mount my pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors (V2) to the back wall for my rear channels. All of the mounting brackets I have looked at either require screws to be driled into the back of the speaker (which I am afraid to do) or use a clamp to hold them in place (which I feel would not be all that secure). The only company that sells a bracket where I live that would hold the weight of the Mini's is Vogel. Anybody have any tips, ideas or similar experences on how to mount these speakers? Maybe I could build a shelf? Or would haveing the rear port so close to a wall hurt the sound? Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

2. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

There is a store that I'm going to later this afternoon that has shelves with lips on the front (boy that sounds funny). It allows you to point the speaker down at the floor from the top corners of the room while holding the speaker in place. With a little velcro and these lips (lol, still funny), it should hold it fine. I use Velcro to hold my center onto the top of my TV...that baby ain't movin. Been like that for a year and hasn't moved.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, having the rear port near the wall is a bad thing. If you mount them, you will probably want to plug the ports. I would not recommend mounting these speakers, personally.

cabreau, listing your gear in your signature interferes with the search function.

4. Jamey F

Jamey F Stunt Coordinator

I did mount my mini monitor V.2 (I don't know if V.3 are heavier) on my walls (front AND back). I had no problem with port noise due to toeing them in and down a bit. I used the Premier mounting brackets made for the smaller Atom or Titan. The back on the minis don't have anywhere designed for such a mount. I purchased what are called "T-nuts" and I drilled a pair of holes in the rear of each speaker to mount half (the half with the ball on it) of the bracket HORIZONTALLY directly under the speaker plug plate. You will have to take out the speaker plug plate on the rear to put the T-nuts inside the speaker. I also removed the serial number sticker for looks. This will hold MUCH better than simply using wood screws to hold the bracket up. I found the T-nuts and screws at Lowes to match the size of the Premier brackets screw holes. You will then want to match the other half of the bracket on the wall so as to screw directly into a wall stud. Don't count on toggle bolts or mollies holding that much weight. Also, keep in mind this isn't suggested by Paradigm. I purchased my speakers and brackets for them at the same store with the assurance they would hold so I could blame them if it didn't work out. I was very well served by this method, but I was hesitant putting my investment on the wall like this. I made sure all my drill holes, nuts and bolts were of the highest quality. I also never tried to over stress the brackets by tugging on them or trying to move the speakers around without first loosening the connection between the "ball and socket" of the mounts. Weight was an issue, and I wouldn't consider this if V.3 are heavier or the back wall of the boxes is less secure than the V.2 I had.

I left my speakers up for over a year like using 80 hzt as the x-over spot most of the time, but I did run them full also. I never had an issue with the speakers even attempting to fall or loosen.

I replaced them with the studio series. I wouldn't even consider this as a solution to mount Studio 20s due to the MUCH heavier design. For my 20s I had two shelves built at a local cabinet maker for those. He charged about $120 for the pair of them. I like this idea better if you have the room. The shelves are about 2-3 inches deeper than the speakers so I can pull them out and toe them in a bit to avoid porting issues. This will be the most secure, but the mounting brackets will be less secure but easier to direct the speakers exactly where you want them.

5. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

check out B-TECH @ Crutchfield, they have a nice setup for clamping up to 55lbs. (BT-77's), Vogels are very sharp, for the clamp-style @ parts express. I'm a little leary about clamping too.(but I feel It's better than drilling holes into a new set of speakers, also is it just me or are all these brackets and stands a bit pricey?

6. Mark Danner

Mark Danner Stunt Coordinator

I second the B-Tech option. I use them for my B&W 601's and they work great! I am also leary about putting screws into a brand new speaker. Not gonna do it. Although the B-Techs do have mounting holes and screws should you choose to do so. They also say that you should definitely use the screws if you are angling the speakers down.

7. Andrew B

Andrew B Agent

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I shall look into getting some of the B-Tech mounts locally. I like the clamping design on them as opposed to the Vogel's. Putting screws into my speakers is sort of like giving myself a root canal [​IMG] If that fails I will make some shelves to stick them up on the wall.

Andrew

8. Daniel I

Daniel I Stunt Coordinator

Andrew,

I have the B-Tech 77's I believe for my Mini-Monitor's as well. I found that although they clamp down well I still needed one screw at the bottom. You could strap them in as well.

******BTW they can be found locally at Futureshop. ****
    I originally ordered mine from Crutchfield before I realized that. [​IMG]

9. Darrin W-G

Darrin W-G Extra

An essential piece of hardware I recommend for mouting rear wall surrounds is a "Stud Finder Laser level".

10. Chris Lana

Chris Lana Extra

A third vote for the B-tech 77's. I've had my 25 lb. Von Schweikert's monted for three years problem free.