Best way to label a disc as being 16:9?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PS Nystrom, Mar 11, 2002.

1. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

I'm burning some DVDs of movie projects I've made on my computer. About half are 16:9 enhanced and I know for a fact that the only person I've given a disc to so far with a 16:9 capable TV is my grandmother and she has no idea how to activate it! She has a Sony KV27FS12. So, these anamorphic discs are going to look a little strange on regular sets and I want to put a disclaimer at the beginning of the movies. My best one so far is "The following is presented in anamorphic widescreen." Does that say everything I need to say? Has anyone else done something like this? What would you put?

Pieter

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Why not use a similar disclaimer as the one found in Buena Vista Home Entertainment 16:9 DVDs?

3. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

I would agree with rutger (hauer, what a great actor.)
    People have got to get away from saying "anamorphic", as the term is incorrect and misleading. "Enhanced for 16*9 (or widescreen") is more appropriate.

4. PS Nystrom

PS Nystrom Second Unit

'Anamorphic' and '16:9 enhanced' don't mean the same thing? I did not know that. This new info will certainly make me want to change my disclaimer. I didn't use the term 'enhanced for 16:9 TVs' because some 4:3 sets can do the anamorphic squeeze; and I don't want to say 'check your equipment' because in most cases the equipment of my friends and family will be set up correctly, it just doesn't have the capability of watching an anamorphic DVD. Confusion is bound to follow.

Pieter

5. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

6. Mikah Woodward

Mikah Woodward Stunt Coordinator

Don't all DVD players have the option to convert an anamorphic DVD into letterbox so the picture doesn't look horizontally squished while viewed on a 4:3 TV? Mine does.

If an anamorphic DVD looks squished on a 4:3 TV, the player isn't set up right. You have to tell the player you have a 4:3 TV, not a 16:9 one.

7. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

8. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

That is why this disclaimer:

9. KlausWinkler

KlausWinkler Agent

Why not use both terms?