Best way to keep from getting motion sick?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Jun 12, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Just got back from vacation in FL and on some of the big rides at universal like Back to the Future (video simulator)made me very queezy, also some of the driving in the back of the van made me feel ill. I didn't used to have problems but just recently I haven't done too well. I always would get seasick though. I took dramamine to help a little but don't like the side effects and don't like to take too much drugs.

Just wondering if there are any good ways to beat Motion sickness without taking drugs all the time?

Do those pressure point straps work or those patches you stick on yourself? Are they dangerous to use at all?

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

My brother has had some results with those presure point wrist straps. Not as much as with Dramamine, though. It helps him somewhat and is perfectly safe to use. You could at least try them, they might help you.

3. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

Stop moving...? [​IMG]
    Chris

4. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

A "natural" way to overcome motion ickness is to take Ginger.
    A dose 15-30 minutes before the trip and subsequent doses
    every 2-3 hours does the trick.

My wife cannot get on a boat without the barf bag and while
    we were in Hawaii some time ago, the natives suggested the
    ginger. It works.

Comes in teas, powders, pills ..... don't eat the raw root.

5. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

don't go...[​IMG]

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I must go. I must move. I must have... thrills!!!
    [​IMG]

7. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Anyone else have any suggestions?

8. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

They do make the dramamine patches which you can put behind your ear if you are really bad. I know how you feel the back to the future type rides where you are looking at a screen and then in a different car always get me quizzy about half way through. I will always try to keep those rides to a minimum. Funny thing is that most rollercoasters dont bother me at all. Make sure that you hit the Hulk, Dueling Dragons, Doom Fearfall, & of course spiderman. Remember that spiderman is like the back to the future rides except that its more advanced and the car moves more. Sorry to hear that you get sick like me its a drag when you want to take on thrills all day long. [​IMG]
    KyleS

9. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

Make sure you get the Dramamine "New Formula", not the "Original Formula." The active ingredient is meclizine and used to be known as Antivert when it was prescription only status. The new formula is associated with fewer side effects and is very safe to use. Take 25mg every 6 hours as needed for dizziness/motion sickness.

Like a previous poster stated, ginger has been shown to be effective in some instances. Mainly pregnant women.

The patches that go behind the ear are called Transderm-Scop. They are available by prescription only. Keep them in mind if you ever go cruising/sailing again.

As far as I know, there are no good, cost-effective non-drug therapies to treat or prevent moition sickness.

10. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Ginger and Xanax works for me

11. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Where do you get this ginger and how much do you take? I assume you don't just bite off a chunk of ginger root and eat it like Bill mentioned not to do.

12. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Any drug/grocery store. And anyplace that carries vitamins.
    Usually the supplement stores like GNC will have some guidelines.
    This search might yield some application tips but I would
    start with 1 pill and move up as necessary.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...otion+sickness

13. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

If you can stand Root beer, (I like it) some of the designer brands have a high content of ginger. If you were to buy the bottles at a health food store it will probably have the highest.

Heat makes the 'sick' worse, if your starting to get sick, try to get into air-conditioning for a while. Eat an green apple (recommended on ships) and any dry bread products. And drink something carbonated if that's all you have access to.

On a ride, don't look at a near point, (If your eyes are open) but pick a point in the great distance to 'steady you'. (this works in a plane also)

I grew up being violently prone to carsick, if I read a paragraph while in a car, here it comes.

Contrary me, I've turned out to be a great sailor, its not that I don't try to start getting sick. But I use the bread/carbonation routine and don't look at near objects which emphasize the motion. Once I pass through the initial 30 Min's of my body really debating with me , I'm fine. And I made it through a Alaskan route one night with 40/50 foot seas (per the Captain, who fell down himself, and 1/2 of the crew were sick)
    After the first hour, (and I played some mental games, telling myself, 'This is hilarious, like walking on a fun house catwalk'. My husband and I were laughing our heads off, when every 3rd step you'd be pushing off the left wall, then the next step pushing off the right wall.

I've flown in light planes, (very bouncy in the summer) and pulled negative G's For me getting through the first bad inclinations is largely mental trickery. Its not that my body isn't reacting to the inner ear adjustment, I just tell it, this sensation is 'nice'.

If you take the Dramamine, take it early, its like trying to knock back pain once its full blown. Control it before it gets to that level.

14. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Build up your motion tolerance by spinning around in circles... wear a helmet. [​IMG]

15. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

you can buy these electronic wrist bands, never used one but they're claimed to work, spendy though at over 100 bucks. I'm not sure how they work, they have little metal contact patches, maybe some guy with a remote shocks you every time you turn green [​IMG]
    anyway, they advirtise in flying magazines, I'll see if I can put my hands on their website address.

16. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Use the Force! [​IMG]