Best way to install surround speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chauncey_G, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

I'm going to be getting a pair of B&W CDM 1NT's to act as my surrounds. Due to the layout of my room, speaker stands are probably not an option so I'm going to have to set them up on brackets or something and install them onto the walls.
    My questions are: will having the speakers relatively close to the walls like that have a detrimental effect on the sound? Is there a preferrable way to mount from a wall? Is there another option (i.e. I've heard of people mounting from the ceiling)?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

4. Curtis_Edwards

Curtis_Edwards Stunt Coordinator

Nice pics Brian. I am thinking about making some wall mounts myself and your pics gave some good ideas.
    Thanks.

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I think you could probably buy something that would look much more "finished" for pretty cheap.
    Check out partsexpress.com.....a friend of mine bought some adjustable angle mounts for his fronts (probably 20lb speakers) and they work great.
    Go to www.partsexpress.com and choose "Speakers" then on the right choose "speaker wall mounts".
    That'll give you a list of about 20 different models.
    [Edited last by Mike LS on August 22, 2001 at 08:21 AM]

6. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

I don't mean to take away from the initial topic, but will bipoles still sound good if they are mounted on the side walls but 2 1/2 feet behind listeing area? It wasn't recommended on the dolby site and I don't want to make a mistake. Just not sufficient side wall surface to deal with.
    Thx

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Mark: mounting bipolar speaker right on the wall won't harm anything. But you will not be getting that great sensation of the sound-source being several feet back which bipoles are famous for.

8. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Quote:
    "Mark: mounting bipolar speaker right on the wall won't harm anything. But you will not be getting that great sensation of the sound-source being several feet back which bipoles are famous for."
    Bob, would you elaborate on this? I have my DefTech BP2X bipolar surrounds on speaker stands flush against the side walls, slightly above ear level, about 18 inches behind my ears (on the horizontal axis). Why will I not get the "sensation" you mention above, and more importantly, where should they be positioned to achieve it? How about even with my listening position on the horizontal axis?
    I too have "side wall space" issues which is why I could not position them even with my ears. But I moved them as close as possible so they wouldn't be in the corner of the side and back walls (at least now there's about 1' of space behind the surrounds).
    Admittedly I have lots to learn which is why I'm anxious to hear your answer. I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that bipolar surrounds were supposed to be on the side walls (as well as on the back wall if you have a 6.1 or 7.1 setup).
    Thanks!
    ------------------
    Scott