Best way to hook up TV to other componets?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Swan, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Mike Swan

Mike Swan Auditioning

I'm hooking up my home theater in my new house. I have a 36" Sony XBR, Sony DVD and VCR. I got a deal on the RCA 2500 HTIB, 100w a channel plus 100w sub, total 600w. I put JBL in-walls for speakers and use RCA sub for now.

The question is, everything is supposed to go into the receiver then into the TV, but I have cable TV that goes to VCR then to the TV. The DVD is hooked to TV by composite lines.

When I introduce the receiver into it how will I get the cable audio to the receiver so it will play over the speakers?

Is there a significant diference in picture by going to S-video to get into the receiver then to the TV in S-video instead of the composite I have now? Audio will be optic.

2. David Ison

David Ison Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    run the cable sound (l/r)into the vcr, the vcr sound into the rec,if you are recording cable to the vcr and the cable has an S output use this into the vcr( usually line 1 input), run the vcr straight to the tv's S input, bypass the receiver's video input less chance of picture degration, same way with the DVD,if you player has another S input or better still if both units have component jacks use those for video.

3. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Im fairly sure that the TV itself has A/V line outs just take those into the reciever.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Use composite or coax for the VCR direct to the TV, since most do not have S-video output unless you have a DVHS or SVHS.

From the DVD, composite is the lowest quality connection, at minimum, S-video is what you should use, and if the TV and DVD both have component, then that would be a step up from S-vid. Either way, direct to the TV.

In terms of sound, from the DVD, you want to use either coaxial or optical digital to get DD/DTS surround. Run stereo analog from your VCR for movies, and as AllanN mentioned, for cable TV, run stereo analog from your TV to the receiver, otherwise you will have to turn on the VCR to hear the sound through the stereo for cable.

5. Mike Swan

Mike Swan Auditioning

Thanks guys, I'll be hooking it up tommorrow(Hopefully).
    I'll tell you what worked best.

6. Mike Swan

Mike Swan Auditioning

Got it hooked all up. It sounds really great over the old TV.
    I ended up using:

Cable from wall to VCR to TV
    Audio out from VCR to VCR in on receiver
    Audio out from TV to SAT in on receiver(until i switch to SAT for better picture)
    DVD componet out to TV
    Optical out from DVD to receiver

Audio out on Sony TV is controlled by TV volume, so I had to use the audio out that was grouped with a video.

Is there a reciver that has componet in and componet out so I can leave the TV on one channel and use the receiver to switch signals?

BTY the RCA sub is pretty weak, that's next.

7. JayM

JayM Stunt Coordinator

I have the same tv that you do.

I would not use a receiver for switching component video, the xbr has enough inputs to do it and you won't have any signal loss. I would go right from your DVD to your TV with component video. Also make sure the you have your DVD player in 16:9 mode so the XBR will do the squeeze.