Best way to hook up this system???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by James Slade, Nov 8, 2003.

1. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

I am putting together a system with Totem mains a 2 channel Bryston amp, probably a cheap adcom preamp/tuner and I also have a Tempest sub. I haven't bought an amp for the sub yet.
    What is the best way to hook this up? I confess to only ever having used Denon receivers, so of course they had a sub out?

Maybe I should get a cheap receiver instead to use as a preamp?

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

James,
    With the equipment you've got, the only way to connect the sub is with a set of passive crossover networks. Unfortunately, high-quality, low-loss networks at, say, 80 Hz are going require some huge and expensive inductors and capacitors. I don't recommend it. Better off buying a plate amp for the sub. That way, you'll get the crossover and the amp, as well as a boost network and phase controls if you need them.

3. gregD

gregD Second Unit

4. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

That Anthem looks sweet, but I was hoping to go used on the preamp.

As far as running the audio to the plate amp for the crossover, I tend to wonder about the adverse affect this could have on the signal, but of course I have no experience here. It doesn't seem to me to be common to hear people put a plate amp in between a nice preamp and something like a Bryston or Parasound. Is anyone doing this with good results?

5. Dave Milne

6. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

Dave,

I don't understand option 1. How does the sub get a signal in this setup?

7. Dave Milne

Sorry, James

I assumed a plate amp for the subwoofer in that scenario, with some y-connectors to tap into the line-level signal between the preamp and main power amp. Nothing "extra" in the mains signal path, though.

8. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

Ah that makes more sense. Would this not limit the overall gain avaiable to both the stereo and plate amps?

Thanks for your help. I really want to put this system togeher well.

9. Dave Milne

10. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

Well I guess I could give that a try. The Totem Sttafs are rated down to about 39Hz. So I guess I could run them full range and just cross the sub low. It is worth a try. Going with a plate amp for the sub isn't so bad. I'll be keeping this sub forever. If/when I build another, I'll just have to get an amp to run it.

I would love a high-end preamp, but it isn't in the cards. I am hoping to get a decent used preamp from here or some other place to buy used gear.

I guess trying to do this sort of cheap, I have to compromise somewhere. Honestly, I suspect I won't use the sub that often anyway.

11. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

Another question.

Balanced connections, I guess these kill hooking up a sub?

Also output voltage of preamps, is this a concern? The numbers seem to vary a fair bit. Does anyone look at this spec, should I?

12. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

TTT