What's new

Best way to heat/cool a basement HT (1 Viewer)

MikeGlue

Auditioning
Hello everybody. My first post here after a few months of reading!

I'm in the very early stages of planning my HT but I have a probably very simple question.

My HT is going to be in my basement (currently the entire basement is UNfinished!). The size is not decided on yet, but probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 12' x 16'.

Currently in the middle of where my HT would be there is a normal everyday heat register installed on what would be the ceiling (keep in mind it is all unfinished).

Now I am bright enough to know that sound will travel right up that bad boy to the rest of the house (wife/kids wouldn't like that!). I have access to the entire ventilation system throughout the entire basement. There are no interior walls either. Just one big open space!

My question is what is the best way I can get ventilation to my HT without having sound travel to the rest of the house? I'm already thinking of moving the celing vent to one of the future interior walls so that the duct work does not have to cross into and run across a portion of the HT ceiling. Does that sound ok?

I would appreciate any ideas you guys/gals have out there! Thanks in advance!

Dan Mercier

Stunt Coordinator
I have a similar dilema and would love to go with some kind of infloor heating. (basement is concrete so it would be expensive now).

Other options I've looked at are electric or water radiant heaters. (not ideal for keeping a nice steady temperature)
I am also going to look at some electric in floor options that can be installed over top of an existing floor.

I'm avoiding using the forced air ducts because of the sound transmission problem.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks